Comment I heard form these "kids"

-

myasylum

Reaction score
The other day I was towing my car to my parents house. There were these younger teenagers on the sidewalk.

They looked at my car and said, "Look at that thing!"

I just thought that was a really weird response. I mean I understand not everyone gets it, but??? "Thing"?

It's probably because the teens of nowadays think fast cars should be little rice burners with coffee cans on the exhaust making them sound like glorified 2 cycle riding mowers.

This one kid got pissed at me one day when, at a light, I asked him where the blade was, he looked at me quizzically, and I said "the blade, you know, the blade for your riding mower, cause that's what it sounds like." When the light went green, he tried to burn tire but couldn't, then took off and just ran his gears way out, and I felt bad, because I was wrong, it sounded more like a chain saw.

FF

They probably didn't know any better. It's most likely from lack of exposure to transportation that couldn't be started by wrapping a length of rope around the crank pulley and giving it a tug. The presence of metallic components may have been confusing as well. Without this frame of reference, it simply becomes a "thing".

i enjoy chasing some of those "tuners" with my diesel pick up. really used to enjoy getting them alongside my chopper...so much so that i would not out run them if they have a window down, just stay right at the open window...

chopper.jpg

i cant stand cars that sound like that there is a kid here that has a 4 cylinder and he put cherry boms on it wat a piece of sh*t it sounds so bad when it goes by and yet he think it sounds good and he has to rev it by my house but thats ok wait until the 440 is in my dart and i got by his house hehe

It just makes me wonder if some of these "Kids" look at our cars like we did when we saw old "antique" cars when we were kids. You know back then we'd see an old Model T and it just looked like an old piece of junk to us. Or at least that's the way I was. I got into old 60's 70's cars and that was all that was cool to me. Still is, however I've at least learned to at least appreciate those older cars as well.

I don't get that at all. I get that is a realy cool car you got mister and lots of thumbs up. Mine is just an old slant car with Cragars. I'm sure you may get some crap from a few teenagers but don't sweat it and enjoy your ride.

The thing is though... Once in a while, one of these kids knows what they are doing and have the money. We'll end up getting our *** whooped by some Acura or something??
I mean, I agree most of these cars are just junk that kids think are cool, but some of these kids know what they are doing. It would be my luck to start making fun of these guys and have my *** kicked by a Honda! LOL! That would suck!
I did see one at the strip a few years back that kept up with a new Vette' in the 1/4 mile.
Everyone was pretty surprised.

oh, I'm not worried about it, I mean they could still think the car is cool and not really get it. I get some positive things said as well. :)

I don't get that at all. I get that is a realy cool car you got mister and lots of thumbs up. Mine is just an old slant car with Cragars. I'm sure you may get some crap from a few teenagers but don't sweat it and enjoy your ride.

yea i got a built slant in mine and it sounds like a whacked out tractor! haha maybe a vid today!

To tell ya the truth I understand both, I;ve got a 98 Plymouth Neon with the DOHC motor and a 5spd, and quite frankly wouldnt be scared of many 318 Dusters, Darts etc. My Duster is great, I love Driving that baby all over but its a cruiser. My neon however is a street fighter, no exhaust, just a straight pipe back from the converter, manual with an aluminum flywheel, sure grip and some nice fat tires. It gets and rarely do I get beat by any ricer w/o a turbo.

It's probably because the teens of nowadays think fast cars should be little rice burners with coffee cans on the exhaust making them sound like glorified 2 cycle riding mowers.

This one kid got pissed at me one day when, at a light, I asked him where the blade was, he looked at me quizzically, and I said "the blade, you know, the blade for your riding mower, cause that's what it sounds like." When the light went green, he tried to burn tire but couldn't, then took off and just ran his gears way out, and I felt bad, because I was wrong, it sounded more like a chain saw.

FF

LMAO!! Good one FF!
I've heard guys in the bathroom stall next to me that made better sounds then some of the fart pipe on ricers.

I don't think they meant it in a negative way. I think they used the word "thing" because as newer cars get more and more bland and unattractive our old Detroit muscle made out of sheet steel and cast iron looks even more like something from another time or place. They probably thought in their heads, "Wow, that's a CAR??? That thing is nuts!" When I drove my friends around on Halloween night in Boulder (basically a carnival of drunk CU students, LOL) I got nothing but thumbs-up from passers-by and lots of guys yelling, "Do a burnout!!!"

The guy I bought my Duster from had a Fiero with a built V8 with Trickflow heads and all sorts of goodies. He pulled up to a red light and there was a ricer in a Honduh that looked over at him and reved his engine a few times to the limiter. Both of them were turning so after the light turned green the Honda floored it. Mark waited until he was out of the turn and going straight before he nailed it. He blew by that joker in second gear with the tires blazing smoke. At the next light the Honda guy would not even look at him.
I would love to have been in that Honda and see the look on that guys face when the roar of that V8 went by him. Priceless.
I came so close to buying that car before I bought my Duster.

The other day I was towing my car to my parents house. There were these younger teenagers on the sidewalk.

They looked at my car and said, "Look at that thing!"

I just thought that was a really weird response. I mean I understand not everyone gets it, but??? "Thing"?

Ya might of asked them if they wanted to have a look at your car.Ya never know.We have plenty of young guns here who are only interested in classic cars.8)Just my .02.

I don't think they meant it in a negative way. They probably thought in their heads, "Wow, that's a CAR??? That thing is nuts!"

Edited your post a little MOPEkidD-3, but this is what I was thinking as well. You can say "Look at that thing" a few different ways and they are not all bad. This post reminds me of a friend of mine that moved to Colorado from Iowa, he used to say, "where I'm from bad means bad, good means good and alright just means it's OK."

I think the kid liked your car.

Ya might of asked them if they wanted to have a look at your car.Ya never know.We have plenty of young guns here who are only interested in classic cars.8)Just my .02.

I agree, as one of the young guns here that you mentioned, I am always trying to look into garages with any classic car in them as I walk by. I obviously don't walk up the driveway and creep people out by walking up to their garage, but I would if they invited me to look.

I found a kid I went to middle school with who is into classic cars too (cept he's a chebby kid) and we were talking about how much we hate the ricer crowd... with the exception of the kids that build them right.

Theres nothing better than a good ol mopar none of the ricers or anything some i believe im one of the smart teenagers:-D

My son has a 06 Dodge diesel with some kind of performance module in it, First he will beat them (rice burners) in a race, than adjust something and literally smoke them with his exhaust. Cruel but love it.

I parked my Scamp 4 1/2 years ago when I bought my Stealth.
This fall I got the Scamp going again, and couldn't believe the responses I was getting- from kids, adults, everyone. My Stealth gets a little attention, but people were falling all over themselves to get a look at the scamp. I had tables full of people outside McDonalds turning to watch me go by. I couldn't pass a kid without a 'nice car!' or thumbs up.
I'm not sure if there are just so few driven now that kids don't get to see them anymore, or what...this town used to be a mopar-fest on any nice summer evening, but you hardly see them around now.

...the funny thing was how nobody would pull up beside me at a light. Although it wouldn't take much to beat my 318 nobody wanted to risk it lol. They try my other car all the time (and they fail miserably:toothy10:)

I will get 1000 pros for every con with my 48. Some young people today are naturely rude when they are alone. I love to meet them in thier cars with the coffee can exhaust and thumping stereos with my rumbling 48 with my 5000 watt thumper playing "Still Unbroken"! They look over in shame and humility. Lets face it the young guys that are able to build real fast ricers have alot more respect for the older hotrods because they can relate, it's all motor in the blood. Those kids will never know that feeling.

-
Back