comp 268 cam too small.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Looking for your thoughts,on another cam.my old 360 Dart had the purple cam 474 280 nice sound and performance.my build now is 360 speed pro pistons 30 over 9 2 1 340 J heads 202 valve Edelbrock RPM PERFORMER intake hooker headers 268 comp cam, my engine builder says that's a small camshaft.stock convertor 323 rear gear sure grip.power disk brakes witch my hinder my choice but i could go to manual disks.so what are my choices. thanks gents.

Your converter, tire diameter and gear are going to affect what cam you use unless you put the cam in for lower rpm use. No point in a cam that makes max power up at 6200 if you are cruising at 2000. I personally don't use any hydraulic cams anymore. Go solid. Pulls from a lower rpm than a comparable hydraulic. This is why a 270 solid is generally compared to a 280 hydraulic. Personally I don't see anything wrong with a 268 in your application. Clearly not drag racing with 323s

Your converter, tire diameter and gear are going to affect what cam you use unless you put the cam in for lower rpm use. No point in a cam that makes max power up at 6200 if you are cruising at 2000. I personally don't use any hydraulic cams anymore. Go solid. Pulls from a lower rpm than a comparable hydraulic. This is why a 270 solid is generally compared to a 280 hydraulic. Personally I don't see anything wrong with a 268 in your application. Clearly not drag racing with 323s
Good point.

You really need to think a bit more about what your goal/needs are from this engine.
Theeeeeeeeen choose the cam......
Idle quality important?
Max rpm with current engine parts?
Is mileage important?
Spend money on a high-er stall c'ter?
3.23 axle & stock c'ter are limiting factors & choosing a 'big' cam could easily turn the car into a dog....

I would opt for a gear change with that cam over a cam swap, 3.91’s over the 323’s would compliment it nicely, what tire size you running?

Pretty much depends on what you are going to do with it. I've got a 268 grind in my Ford and my Mopar. Great cam for cruising and a healthy upgrade from stock. My rides spend most of their time on the highway, 2.76 gears in my Challenger and 3.0 in my Fairlane. Stockish converters in both.

Xe268 flat tappet? My 350 s10 with 3.23’s and a 26” tires does well with that cam. 2500 converter minimum recommended. 2800 probably better

I currently run a 276/286/110 Hughes cam. (230/237@.050)
I previously ran a 270/276/110 Hughes cam (223/230@.050)

My 360 runs 11/1 Scr with Alloy heads at about 180psi CCP, an AG and an ancient 750DP...
She runs a clutch, a stock heavy flywheel, a Commando 4-speed(3.09low), and 3.55s .. She runs both power steering and power brakes no problem. She idles down to 550, sometimes less, in gear and pulling herself around the parking lot, at 5* spark advance. She will do that in a parade forever.

I much preferred the smaller cam.
Gearing and stall will make a super big difference.
I just came back from a short tour, the grin is still on my face.

You will really like the 268 size of cam. Especially if you run the cylinder pressure up. I would not be scared to run it with 3.23s. (I already have). And if you are a sharp tuner, you can even try a stockish stall. Mine takes throttle right from idle. I mean RIGHT from idle; dump the clutch THEN hammer it, almost no slipping required, on sand or gravel I just dump it and go..

I agree that a solid lifter cam is the way to go. My next one will be a solid for sure.

sorry gents for not getting back sooner my daughter just got married sooooooooooooo very hard press for time.I do plan a a rear gear change 355 my rear tire is the 275 60 15 and would like the 2800 stall just want a little more power out of this 360 maybe see some track time as well.

sorry gents for not getting back sooner my daughter just got married sooooooooooooo very hard press for time.I do plan a a rear gear change 355 my rear tire is the 275 60 15 and would like the 2800 stall just want a little more power out of this 360 maybe see some track time as well.
2800 will just piss it off. I would go 3800-4200. Remember converter technology isn't in the 1970s anymore.

-
Back