Comp 901 valve springs,and retainers,locks.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
I need you all help again,i know 901-16 valve springs what is the part numbers for the retainers,and locks,the engine builder say I would be wise to get new.Or is my stock stuff still good.Tankssssssssssssssss.I may buy the valve spring compressor and do this myself.

I need you all help again,i know 901-16 valve springs what is the part numbers for the retainers,and locks,the engine builder say I would be wise to get new.Or is my stock stuff still good.Tankssssssssssssssss.I may buy the valve spring compressor and do this myself.
the 744-16 retainers, locks, depends on stem grooves. 603-16, for single groove, 606-16 for 2 & 4 groove.

I've run them a dozen times using the factory retainers and locks. If it's a 360, replace the rotators and if it's a 360 with a larger cam, check coil bind. Otherwise they are a stock replacement IMO.

I've run them a dozen times using the factory retainers and locks. If it's a 360, replace the rotators and if it's a 360 with a larger cam, check coil bind. Otherwise they are a stock replacement IMO.
Yes rotators will be toast,262 comp cam not big .so to say me money I will take your advice.

My truck has run the XE262 and 901-16s for about 10 years now. All I did was lose the rotators and replace the seals when I dropped the springs in. "Perfect", no. "Right", no, not really because the exhaust valve grooves are lower on valves with rotators so the pressures are a little higher on the exhaust side. Serviceable - most definitely.

My truck has run the XE262 and 901-16s for about 10 years now. All I did was lose the rotators and replace the seals when I dropped the springs in. "Perfect", no. "Right", no, not really because the exhaust valve grooves are lower on valves with rotators so the pressures are a little higher on the exhaust side. Serviceable - most definitely.

not to hi jack but what's your build and how is the performance with the 262.
..i'm sure many would like to hear your thoughts on this cam...including SSSnake

I also have a comp 262 in my truck, it idles good with plenty of vacuum for power brakes, and pulls hard.

it would be nice to have a real world ( not dyno) comparison between comps' Xe 262 and 256
for a street small block...

Ya i here ya there,the 2 are close,but i think the 262 is better.if 2 360 wear built the same,same car everything,my bet is the 262,more lift and duration,the exhaust duration of the 262 is what i like over the 256.

Just thinking the 256 should pull harder street light to street light.
...maybe a better street cam for a stock lo compression 340 / 360
with a smoother idle and better mileage if that matters.

Last edited:
I would avoid the Comp Locks and Retainers , my builder stopped using them and I have posted pics in another thread of the locks that I just took off after 5 years and 25k miles they were a C hair from failing completely , I am running single bee hive springs so the pressures aren't that big but they are shot . Another member here posted pics of his new retainers after less than 100 miles and they are all cracked , what ever people want to say to the contrary based on past product quality the reality is they no longer sell a quality product when it comes to locks and retainers .Here I copied the pic for ya , this is a single groove lock with just a hair of the ridge remaining .
magnify_2016-08-21_07-36-00-jpg.1714964790.jpg

Last edited:
Well thatsssssssssssssss enough for me,i remember a member giveing me grief saying stop fishing and google your question.My reply i would like hands on advice someone who has bean there.Thanks. I am going to stay with factory stuff i have now.

-
Back