Comp Cam/lifter failure

-
Lifter rotation can very easily be verified before the danged thing is even bolted together. I do it on EVERY flat tappet engine I do. Has saved my *** a couple times. Not an absolute guarantee....
How do you verify rotation before bolting it together?

Make sure the lifter bores, lifters, and the lobes are CLEAN. Use a light oil like WD40 on the lifter base and bores. Install camshaft. Insert lifter into bore. It should set down under its own weight. If it doesn't, correct it so it does. This could be as little as dirt or as much as the bore needing correction. Install the cam gear and lightly snug the bolt. Using a socket and speed handle, rotate the camshaft. Keeping track of the snap rings, you should see the lifters rotate. You have to spin the handle pretty quick. If some don't rotate, try switching from bore to bore. When done you can reinstall into proper bore for reassembly.

An easy test that I do is to bolt on the cam gear, spray the cam with WD-40 and slide the cam in, mark the top edge of the lifters with a dab of yellow paint, spray with WD and drop them in the bores. Smooth and continuously turn the cam gear by hand and watch the lifters. It works. They will spin.....well, they should! Then you can go from there assembling and checking further including marking the pushrods watching for spinning with the valve covers off when turning over the engine and when running.

You need to check the lifters also. I have found some that were machined flat they need to be slightly rounded.

-
Back