Comp Cams recommendation evaluation

-

999yards

Reaction score
Comp cams has recommended this cam. I really trust the advice given here so I wanted to confirm with you guys before I buy.

Car and Engine Details:

1966 Barracuda with 727 trans. 373 suregrip 8 3/4 rear.

360 stock stroke stock bore. 1989 Roller with Hydraulic roller lifters
W2 heads mild port gasket matched to headers and intake with 2.08 intake 1.60 exhaust.

Open plenum W2 intake have not bought yet but prob a Victor Jr

Holley 750 DP.

Will not use for drag racing. target hp and torque range is 2800-6500.

I did explain to them in my email to them the same as above.

Cam recommended by Comp Cams is:

A cam that best fit your barracuda is our xtreme energy cam (20-810-9)

This cam will help make nice low-end power/torque, great throttle response, and will have a nice hot rod lumpy idle
The cam is 218/224 @ .050 and the lift is .535/.531 on a 110 LSA, This cam can be used with the stock converter or a stall that is 1800+.

Thanks

That looks about right.

My son and I are building a 91 360 with the Hughes 1928 cam. Going into a 71 Valiant 4 door with 727 trans and 8 3/4 axle with 3.91 suregrip for street and strip once in a while.

219/228 duration at .050"
.522/.558" lift
Sweet spot RPM 1400-5200

However, I recommend using Rhoades lifters. They bleed down at idle taking out 15° duration and .025" lift, and they gradually "Pump-up" by 3500 RPM to give the full lift and duration of your cam. You get more low end and mid range torque and power without sacrificing top end. They also make it idle smoother. I had a .484/284 cam in a 340 that barely idled at 1100 rpm with stock lifters, installed Rhaodes lifters and got it idling much smoother at 800 rpm. You will need Rhoades part number 1068 for the stock replacement hydraulic roller lifter for that year engine.

Main page:

http://www.rhoadslifters.com/

Part #'s

http://www.rhoadslifters.com/Pages/PartNumber.html

Articles (read the second one at the bottom):

http://www.rhoadslifters.com/Pages/Articles.html

Caution: When you order the cam, make sure that they send you the PROPER cam. They make 2 versions of the cam, one for mechanical fuel pump (with the nose for the fuel pump eccentric), or one for electric fuel pump (without the nose).

Hughes decided (amongst themselves) to send me the camshaft without the nose for the mechanical fuel pump (at the same price as the one with it), and then send me a "conversion kit" to adapt it to work with a mechanical fuel pump (for an additional $30) because "they didn't have the proper one in stock". What an underdesigned POS! I had to do some of my own improvements to help it, and I'm still not 100% comfortable with it. It has been a big headache. INSIST on getting the proper cam or you will send it back (I should have - 20/20 hindsight...).

Thanks. I was under the impression low end torque and a rpm sweet spot of 1400- 5k was prob not a good target with the heads I'm using. Don't care about smooth Idle. Not a daily driver. Just looking to build a nasty street menace while working with what I have

This is what I wrote to the tech:

This is a new build. Please recommend header size, torque convertor for your cam. Also need push rod length. I'm using the W2 heads with offset roller rockers on shaft. Goal is to have the maximum torque/hp from somewhere in between 2800rpm to 7000rpm. And of course a brutal sound.

I forgot to mention I was running 2.08 intake valves. The w2 heads came with roller offset rockers, shafts and new valves, well new everything really. At a give away price. The heads are new.

They just sent me another email with changed specs, they are:

This cam is larger and the specs are 236/242 @ .050 and the lift is .544/.541 on a 110 LSA
rpm on this is 2500-6200.

They just sent me another email with changed specs, they are:

This cam is larger and the specs are 236/242 @ .050 and the lift is .544/.541 on a 110 LSA
rpm on this is 2500-6200.

Yeah, that will be for a little higher RPM.

The Hughes cam similar to that is sweet spot of 2500 - 5900 rpm.

Still use the rhaodes lifters. they will make it run better. It's all that I use now. I've been using them for over 25 years and have over 250,000 miles on a set in one engine with no problems. They give you better low and mid range power and torque without sacrificing top end. Also better MPG, but like the better idle, you may not be concerned about that. But they will help it pull better off the line!

Rhoades lifters will make that power band go from 1500 - 5900 rpm on the Hughes cam.

Hmm. That's good info. thanks man

No problem.

With the new Comp cam they recommended with the Rhoades lifters should bring the power band to 1800 -6200 RPM.

It took 3 years to convince me to use these, but now that I started, it's all I use. Even if the cam comes with lifters, I buy a set of Rhoades. They work and also make the engine easier to tune as it runs smoother at idle than with regular lifters.

Try them. You will like them.

No way will the original cam recommended make it to 6500. It will likely die off at 5700.

If you want a cam recommendation, call Brian at IMMengines.com
He can get you anything in the comp catalog, cut it custom and it will be about the same $ as a shelf cam in most cases.

Brian is also a knowledgeable W2 guy.

The Rhoads lifters will also sound like the factory solid lifter Commando cam if that's important to you.

with the last cam recommendation they have bumped you up 3 steps from the first one which is good for all the other parts your using. The problem might be your compression ratio. I don't know what a 89 was. If it is too low when you use a big cam it bleeds off with the long duration and overlap and kills the power on bottom end. that cam wants 9.5. With the Rhoads it will help that because they make the cam smaller at lower rpm. They also take away some of that killer sound your after.

I raced a buddy with a 74 360 challenger with my 318 back in the day. He had a big 284/484 purple cam in his 8.5 to 1. With identical gears my 318 would pull 4 lengths on him off the hit until he got his rolling.

Rhoades lifters and a Comp Cams recommendation.. Both are a waste of time. Do yourself a favor, choose the correct cam and give the "snake oil" lifters a miss.

Barracuda340 I will be putting pistons in to get me in between 9.5 and 10.0. Thanks for the help.

Bakerlite, That's why I started this thread because I want the right cam. If the comp cam and Rhodes lifters are snake oil what do you suggest?

I'm in no way committed to comp cams by the way.

Crackedback, Thanks I will call Brian

Rhoades lifters and a Comp Cams recommendation.. Both are a waste of time. Do yourself a favor, choose the correct cam and give the "snake oil" lifters a miss.

Bakerlite: Have you tried them (rhoades lifters)?

Ask someone who has tried them if they made a difference.

All I'm recommending is to get the proper cam for what you want, and then get the Rhoades lifters to get more driveability on the street with it. Ask people who have tried them and don't let one hater steer you away.

Do your homework. Go check their website and read about them. Start a post on who has used rhoades lifters and how they liked them. They've worked for me and that's why I recommend them.

Comp cams has recommended this cam. I really trust the advice given here so I wanted to confirm with you guys before I buy.

Car and Engine Details:

1966 Barracuda with 727 trans. 373 suregrip 8 3/4 rear.

360 stock stroke stock bore. 1989 Roller with Hydraulic roller lifters
W2 heads mild port gasket matched to headers and intake with 2.08 intake 1.60 exhaust.

Open plenum W2 intake have not bought yet but prob a Victor Jr

Holley 750 DP.

Will not use for drag racing. target hp and torque range is 2800-6500.

I did explain to them in my email to them the same as above.

Cam recommended by Comp Cams is:

A cam that best fit your barracuda is our xtreme energy cam (20-810-9)

This cam will help make nice low-end power/torque, great throttle response, and will have a nice hot rod lumpy idle
The cam is 218/224 @ .050 and the lift is .535/.531 on a 110 LSA, This cam can be used with the stock converter or a stall that is 1800+.

Thanks

I have this cam for sale right now($175 plus shipping). It has less than 2000 miles on it and is in perfect condition. It was a great street cam. My car had a 318 stroked to 390 with Eddy magnum heads and 600 CFM quick fuel carb. I had it on a chassis dyno and it made 345 HP at the rear wheel with a badly slipping transmission. I would guess that would be in the 400+ at the flywheel. The convertor was 2200 to 2400 stall and the car had 3:55 gears. The only reason for selling it is I'm building a IHRA pure stock and I don't have a use for it.
Dave

Bakerlite: Have you tried them (rhoades lifters)?

Ask someone who has tried them if they made a difference.

All I'm recommending is to get the proper cam for what you want, and then get the Rhoades lifters to get more driveability on the street with it. Ask people who have tried them and don't let one hater steer you away.

Do your homework. Go check their website and read about them. Start a post on who has used rhoades lifters and how they liked them. They've worked for me and that's why I recommend them.
Krazy ,some people just don't get it. I use them,and I like them. To each their own.
Comp is notorious for different can recommandations. I called 3 times on a small block LA combo,all three were wildly different. I ended up with a Crower. Someone having W2 port experience would help.

You did say hydrolic roller cam ? Are there roades lifters for a roller? any how You may want to get a cam reground for your application to avoid the brass cam gear. There are several grinders that will do it with bullit being highly recommended.

Hey Snake,

These are Rhoads V-Pro Street Lifters.

They're real, and they are spectacular.

productspage.gif

dch-65, I don't think that's what I will be going with. It didn't seem right when they suggested it. I don't think they even saw that I mentioned W2 heads with 2.08 intakes. I'll be calling Brian per cracked back's recommendation.

Thanks though.

Nothing like a Comp Cams variable cam recommendation lol. Unfortunately lots of the big name cam grinders out there have crappy tech lines. Call Bullet Racing Cams, they are one of the best at speccing cams. http://www.bulletcams.com/
Don't get hung up on that 6500 RPM number. Your compression will likely be too low for a cam of that size (ie makes power at 6500) to run happily on the bottom, especially if your converter is or near stock.
The Rhoads lifters might be the ticket here, but they carry a $275 price tag.

Thanks again skrews. Figured I will be changing a converter but would rather match converter to cam as opposed to matching cam to converter. I'll check Bullet out too.

So these Rhoades Hydraulic Roller lifters do not do the same thing as the ones first mentioned by Krazycuda?

rhl-vmaxoeroller_w_ml.jpg

Image is a representation of this item.
Actual item may vary.
  • Click to Enlarge Image
Loading media

inprogress2.gif

detailbanner_standard_freeshipping.jpg
$311.97

Lifters, Vmax, OE Roller, Chrysler, Dodge, Eagle, Jeep, Plymouth, 5.2, 5.9L, Set of 16
  • Order this item and get free delivery and handling on your entire order! Offer excludes truck freight fees. Valid on orders shipped in the contiguous United States.
Estimated Ship Date: 2/20/2014 (if ordered today) Would you rather pick it up? Select Location

View Similar Products
Rhoads V-Max Roller Lifters

Part Type:Lifters

Application:Find out if this fits your application

• Email

Brand:Rhoads Lifters

Manufacturer's Part Number:1068X

Part Type:Lifters

Product Line:Rhoads V-Max Roller Lifters

Summit Racing Part Number:RHL-1068X

Lifter Style:Hydraulic roller

Lifter Link Bars Included:No

Link Bar:OEM

Lifter Outside Diameter (in):0.904 in.

Lifter Offset:None

Quantity:Sold as a set of 16.

In-Store Pickup:Choose In-store pick-up (OH, GA, NV) on our web site.

For maximum increases in low-end torque, engine vacuum, and improved idle quality, Rhoads V-Max variable duration roller lifters are the answer. These unique lifters are designed to significantly increase low-end torque and engine vacuum. This makes them the best choice for hot street, performance marine, and all racing applications. Typical vacuum increases range between 3 and 5 in. at idle when used with bigger cams. Rhoads V-Max roller lifters are fully adjustable and require an adjustable valvetrain. Adjustment is similar to solid lifters--simply use a feeler gauge to adjust the exact amount of lift reduction you want, anywhere from .010 in. to .030 in., and that is exactly what you get at idle. Duration is reduced between 5 and 20 degrees at .050 in. lift, depending on the adjustment. As the rpm increases, so do your valve lift and duration. Complete lift and duration restoration takes place at approximately 4,000 rpm. V-Max series roller lifters are also particularly well suited for racing applications with vacuum rules. You can run more cam than your competition, while still meeting vacuum requirements, giving you the performance advantage.

-
Back