Comp Cams recommendation evaluation

-
Yeah, either did the other Rhoads recommenders.

You're wrong there, I recommended the stock hydraulic replacement for his particular year block.

Rhoades part number 1068 for the stock replacement hydraulic roller lifter for that year engine.

Look it up with the part number link I gave in post #2 when I recommended it.

Bakerlite: Have you tried them (rhoades lifters)?

Ask someone who has tried them if they made a difference.

All I'm recommending is to get the proper cam for what you want, and then get the Rhoades lifters to get more driveability on the street with it. Ask people who have tried them and don't let one hater steer you away.

Do your homework. Go check their website and read about them. Start a post on who has used rhoades lifters and how they liked them. They've worked for me and that's why I recommend them.

Hey shouter... Raising your voice ain't going to make those lifters any better:)
They never realize full duration or lift. Dyno tested and Dyno failed, that's real "homework" not the propaganda from there own site. You obviously have zero understanding of how a lifter works and the variables that can affect it's operation.
"Hater"... gimme a break..you throw that word around without even understanding it... grow up

So these Rhoades Hydraulic Roller lifters do not do the same thing as the ones first mentioned by Krazycuda?

rhl-vmaxoeroller_w_ml.jpg

Image is a representation of this item.
Actual item may vary.
  • Click to Enlarge Image
Loading media

inprogress2.gif

detailbanner_standard_freeshipping.jpg
$311.97

Lifters, Vmax, OE Roller, Chrysler, Dodge, Eagle, Jeep, Plymouth, 5.2, 5.9L, Set of 16
  • Order this item and get free delivery and handling on your entire order! Offer excludes truck freight fees. Valid on orders shipped in the contiguous United States.
Estimated Ship Date: 2/20/2014 (if ordered today) Would you rather pick it up? Select Location

View Similar Products
Rhoads V-Max Roller Lifters

Part Type:Lifters

Application:Find out if this fits your application

• Email

Brand:Rhoads Lifters

Manufacturer's Part Number:1068X

Product Line:Rhoads V-Max Roller Lifters

Summit Racing Part Number:RHL-1068X

Lifter Style:Hydraulic roller

Lifter Link Bars Included:No

Link Bar:OEM

Lifter Outside Diameter (in):0.904 in.

Lifter Offset:None

Quantity:Sold as a set of 16.

In-Store Pickup:Choose In-store pick-up (OH, GA, NV) on our web site.

For maximum increases in low-end torque, engine vacuum, and improved idle quality, Rhoads V-Max variable duration roller lifters are the answer. These unique lifters are designed to significantly increase low-end torque and engine vacuum. This makes them the best choice for hot street, performance marine, and all racing applications. Typical vacuum increases range between 3 and 5 in. at idle when used with bigger cams. Rhoads V-Max roller lifters are fully adjustable and require an adjustable valvetrain. Adjustment is similar to solid lifters--simply use a feeler gauge to adjust the exact amount of lift reduction you want, anywhere from .010 in. to .030 in., and that is exactly what you get at idle. Duration is reduced between 5 and 20 degrees at .050 in. lift, depending on the adjustment. As the rpm increases, so do your valve lift and duration. Complete lift and duration restoration takes place at approximately 4,000 rpm. V-Max series roller lifters are also particularly well suited for racing applications with vacuum rules. You can run more cam than your competition, while still meeting vacuum requirements, giving you the performance advantage.

Yes, they do what I originally said, but to a bigger degree. The v-max have more bleed down than the 'original' variable duration lifters. They need to be used with an adjustable rockers, where the original ones that I recommended will work with the stock stamped steel rockers.

So these Rhoades Hydraulic Roller lifters do not do the same thing as the ones first mentioned by Krazycuda?

rhl-vmaxoeroller_w_ml.jpg

Image is a representation of this item.
Actual item may vary.
Loading media

inprogress2.gif

detailbanner_standard_freeshipping.jpg
$311.97

Lifters, Vmax, OE Roller, Chrysler, Dodge, Eagle, Jeep, Plymouth, 5.2, 5.9L, Set of 16

• Order this item and get free delivery and handling on your entire order! Offer excludes truck freight fees. Valid on orders shipped in the contiguous United States.
Estimated Ship Date: 2/20/2014 (if ordered today) Would you rather pick it up? Select Location

View Similar Products
Rhoads V-Max Roller Lifters

Application:Find out if this fits your application

Brand:Rhoads Lifters

Manufacturer's Part Number:1068X

Product Line:Rhoads V-Max Roller Lifters

Summit Racing Part Number:RHL-1068X

Lifter Style:Hydraulic roller

Lifter Link Bars Included:No

Link Bar:OEM

Lifter Outside Diameter (in):0.904 in.

Lifter Offset:None

Quantity:Sold as a set of 16.

In-Store Pickup:Choose In-store pick-up (OH, GA, NV) on our web site.

For maximum increases in low-end torque, engine vacuum, and improved idle quality, Rhoads V-Max variable duration roller lifters are the answer. These unique lifters are designed to significantly increase low-end torque and engine vacuum. This makes them the best choice for hot street, performance marine, and all racing applications. Typical vacuum increases range between 3 and 5 in. at idle when used with bigger cams. Rhoads V-Max roller lifters are fully adjustable and require an adjustable valvetrain. Adjustment is similar to solid lifters--simply use a feeler gauge to adjust the exact amount of lift reduction you want, anywhere from .010 in. to .030 in., and that is exactly what you get at idle. Duration is reduced between 5 and 20 degrees at .050 in. lift, depending on the adjustment. As the rpm increases, so do your valve lift and duration. Complete lift and duration restoration takes place at approximately 4,000 rpm. V-Max series roller lifters are also particularly well suited for racing applications with vacuum rules. You can run more cam than your competition, while still meeting vacuum requirements, giving you the performance advantage.

Yeah same snake oil.. just with a roller..

Hey shouter... Raising your voice ain't going to make those lifters any better:)
They never realize full duration or lift. Dyno tested and Dyno failed, that's real "homework" not the propaganda from there own site. You obviously have zero understanding of how a lifter works and the variables that can affect it's operation.
"Hater"... gimme a break..you throw that word around without even understanding it... grow up

Shouter? Really?

I prove you wrong and now you start throwing stones.

I've used them for over 25 years and have gotten great service out of them. If you don't like them, that's fine, don't run them. But don't start whining if someone with a set of them leaves your car behind in the dust....

Since you think that I don't know anything about lifters and how they work, why don't you explain it to me. Teach me grasshopper....

What are your qualifications? What makes you an expert that knows more than me? Post your qualifications and background to prove you are "the supreme being" that you claim to be....

The dyno tests that I've seen with rhoades lifters show that they make more horsepower in the low and mid range rpm's. They also seem to make my engines run smoother and stronger.

Look, Large font = shouting... Now do you get it??? Don't you even look at what your printing to screen?? and you have proven nothing, so I don't know where you got that from.
Vizard tested them years ago and concluded they never saw full lift and duration.. period..
I don't think I'll have to worry about getting beaten by someone with those lifters , unless they make them for solid cams :)

Vizard tested them years ago and concluded they never saw full lift and duration.. period..

How did they measure for full lift and duration while the engine was running? I would like to see how they did that accurately.

Was it done with stock rocker arms? They are also known not to provide "full lift".

And what about the torque and horsepower curves? How did they compare from the engine with standard lifters compared to rhoades lifters? Show me some data --> I'm the boss, need the info. PROVE IT!!!

Without data, you are just another a-hole with an opinion. Opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one and they are all full of ****....

Why don't you post the Vizard test.

Just to clarify, shouter is caps locking everything. Bigger font is just obnoxious. Probably as much as me pointing it out...sorry :p

How did they measure for full lift and duration while the engine was running? I would like to see how they did that accurately.

Was it done with stock rocker arms? They are also known not to provide "full lift".

And what about the torque and horsepower curves? How did they compare from the engine with standard lifters compared to rhoades lifters? Show me some data --> I'm the boss, need the info. PROVE IT!!!

Without data, you are just another a-hole with an opinion. Opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one and they are all full of ****....

Why don't you post the Vizard test.

How would they have been tested? Well I guess the same way Rhoads would have tested them to come up with their data...or are you saying that they didn't???
Try looking at the publication, How to build Horsepower Volume 1 , page 56. he says it in print right there and last I heard Rhoads never tried to sue him over his comments.. What does that tell you? Who's the A hole now?
I'm not going to educate you on lifters, learn to research stuff yourself, you'll learn more that way.

Not gonna happen Krazy,more hot air.
More hot air? Why have you got your nose out of joint ?, something I said in the past make you look bad, or do you just throw comments like that around without justification?

Just to clarify, shouter is caps locking everything. Bigger font is just obnoxious. Probably as much as me pointing it out...sorry :p
Your right, I stand corrected, he's obnoxious.

And you have built ?^^^^ I don't know you,you don't know me....You make posts,that make no sense.

I have used them, they seem to work decent, but they are very noisy in my experience.... actually louder than the racer brown solid in my 340....

The concept of a variable duration lifter sounds good at first. Discovering a company like Rhoades makes them is even better. Or is it? I always ask myself some pretty simple questions when evaluating something that seems to claim an awful lot.

How popular are these lifters? Any top name builders using them?

If it were so easy to build torque and vaccum/fuel mileage/driveability at the bottom of the rev range and still preserve high rpm power production, then why have the OEM's invested so much in true VVT? I mean why develop a camshaft that can be retarded or advanced via electronic control when they could have just dropped in a lifter?

I mean no offense I am just offering my mode of thinking. I would also guess that anyone that had issues with "regular" lifters and then noticed much better performance after the installation of Rhoads fast bleed down lifters probably had way too much cam in the first place. J.Rob

The concept of a variable duration lifter sounds good at first. Discovering a company like Rhoades makes them is even better. Or is it? I always ask myself some pretty simple questions when evaluating something that seems to claim an awful lot.

If it were so easy to build torque and vaccum/fuel mileage/driveability at the bottom of the rev range and still preserve high rpm power production, then why have the OEM's invested so much in true VVT? I mean why develop a camshaft that can be retarded or advanced via electronic control when they could have just dropped in a lifter?

I mean no offense I am just offering my mode of thinking. I would also guess that anyone that had issues with "regular" lifters and then noticed much better performance after the installation of Rhoads fast bleed down lifters probably had way too much cam in the first place. J.Rob

Good points, I used them in a rules restricted engine that had very specific limits on lift, and had a min vaccum requirement as well. They DID help vac at idle in that situation, but I wouldn't personally use them in any other build situation.

I'm not going to educate you on lifters, learn to research stuff yourself, you'll learn more that way.

Don't need your explaination. I had engineers from Eaton Corp. explain it to me with cross sectional views, a 1/4 cut away part, and full informational packet.

Very informative... :happy1:

Ok here we go:

Top engine builders: In particular who are you talking about? NHRA? NASCAR? It may have something to do with those engines are used above 3500 rpm and therefore make the variable duration lifters unnecessary.

The variable duration lifters are best used for street where you are at low and mid range rpms.

Now why don't OEM manufacturers use them:

I don't know for sure. I would think that they would be interested in them.

However, I don't think that Rhoades can handle that kind of volume. They are too small of a company to handle that responsibility, the liability could overwhelm a small company.

I worked on a V-6 engine line. We made 500,000 engines per year. This would mean 6 million lifters per year alone just for that one engine family, and there are other engines to supply.

Not to mention that one of our on line tests was very sensitive to "soft lifters". It would cause the engine to fail the test, even though it was a good engine. We would sometimes have to retest them 2, 3, or 4 times. That would back up the assembly line on days that we had many of them. I don't think that Rhoades can supply the kind of support needed to help root cause the problem like that, they are a family business. It was difficult to do with a large corporation that had manpower to support those issues.

There's alot of responsibility being an OEM supplier. It can overwhelm or put a small company out of business.

More hot air? Why have you got your nose out of joint ?, something I said in the past make you look bad, or do you just throw comments like that around without justification?

So now you start attacking everybody?

Take a Midol....

Ok here we go:

Top engine builders: In particular who are you talking about? NHRA? NASCAR? It may have something to do with those engines are used above 3500 rpm and therefore make the variable duration lifters unnecessary.

The variable duration lifters are best used for street where you are at low and mid range rpms.

Now why don't OEM manufacturers use them:

I don't know for sure. I would think that they would be interested in them.

However, I don't think that Rhoades can handle that kind of volume. They are too small of a company to handle that responsibility, the liability could overwhelm a small company.

I worked on a V-6 engine line. We made 500,000 engines per year. This would mean 6 million lifters per year alone just for that one engine family, and there are other engines to supply.

Not to mention that one of our on line tests was very sensitive to "soft lifters". It would cause the engine to fail the test, even though it was a good engine. We would sometimes have to retest them 2, 3, or 4 times. That would back up the assembly line on days that we had many of them. I don't think that Rhoades can supply the kind of support needed to help root cause the problem like that, they are a family business. It was difficult to do with a large corporation that had manpower to support those issues.

There's alot of responsibility being an OEM supplier. It can overwhelm or put a small company out of business.

I hate to start dropping names but I have rubbed elbows with some of the best engine builders in the U.S.A. The exact opposite of a fast bleed down lifter is employed when all of these builders are trying to build as much low end power as possible-think short travel hydraulics here.

Look-I believe they worked for you. Do I believe they are a cure all lifter that allows you to have your cake and eat it too? Nope, Not a Chance. Again I am sure that anyone that over cams their engine only to realize that low end power really sucks and then installs these lifters and experiences a restoration of low end power will think this lifter is a great product. It is a great product. I would rather install the right camshaft to begin with. All it takes is honesty. J.Rob

. Again I am sure that anyone that over cams their engine only to realize that low end power really sucks and then installs these lifters and experiences a restoration of low end power will think this lifter is a great product. It is a great product. I would rather install the right camshaft to begin with. All it takes is honesty. J.Rob

You don't have to over cam your engine to use rhoades lifters. You can put in the proper cam and use them for even more low end.

Why does everyone assume that you have to overcam to use rhoades liftes?

I don't blame you guys for being skeptical. I was also. It took me three years of asking people who used them if they were worth it. I finally tried them and use them in all of my street engines.
they run good for me.

Use them if you want. Or don't. It's your engine, build it the way that you want. I like to use them in mine.

Fair enough. Not arguing the fact that they seem to work for you. I also understand and believe that they would in fact help idle vaccuum and low rpm torque due to the reduced duration and lift the valves are seeing. What I take issue with is the claim of not bleeding down at high engine speeds thus preserving high rpm output. That is all. J.Rob

So now you start attacking everybody?

Take a Midol....
Hey I'm not attacking him, I'm just asking him some questions after he said I was full of hot air, or don't I get the right to respond in your world?
The response I've quoted from you is just typical of your attitude in this whole thread... inaccurate and uninformed. Keep using those lifters, your just the type of guy who should :)

-
Back