Comp Cams Slant 6 problem

-
Reaction score
I have a SK64-241-4 cam for my Slant 6, but I have a problem. The cam sprocket has a 3/4" hole in it for the snout that should be on the front of the camshaft, like the original. This cam does not have a snout, and the hole is 7/16 for the bolt that holds it in place. I have looked around the internet for information about this problem but can't find anything. Most of the "pictures" of the cam aren't even for a 6 cylinder, they are just generic pictures of a camshaft. And the ones that do look like a Slant 6 cam don't show a snout on the front. Is there a spacer to take of this? Do I have to make one? Will the bolt fail without the snout to keep the sprocket centered?

Last edited:
The original cam sprocket has the same size hole in it that the new one does, 3/4 inch. The original cam sprocket bolt is 7/16. I unfortunately don't have the original cam anymore, it got scrapped. There has to be something missing.

So I guess I'm just over thinking this. The cam fits in the back of the sprocket, I just can't get over the size of the hole in front. This is what I get for procrastinating on this thing for a year.

Do you have the dished washer that goes between the bolt and the sprocket.

I have an extra cam bolt and washer. If you think you have yours and need measurements to verify you have the right one, I can get mine and measure it. I'm working on memory at the moment, but IIRC the bolt is indeed 7/16 coarse thread and about 1-1/2" long. The washer is probably a bit less than 2" across and as mentioned above, it's dished. And you do need the special washer, using a regular flat one from the hardware store is no good.

The cam bolt is 7/16-14 x 1.25" and the washer is 1.5"dia, 1/8" thick and slightly concaved.
I just measured these items from an 84 slant six.

I have a SK64-241-4 cam for my Slant 6, but I have a problem. The cam sprocket has a 3/4" hole in it for the snout that should be on the front of the camshaft, like the original. This cam does not have a snout, and the hole is 7/16 for the bolt that holds it in place. I have looked around the internet for information about this problem but can't find anything. Most of the "pictures" of the cam aren't even for a 6 cylinder, they are just generic pictures of a camshaft. And the ones that do look like a Slant 6 cam don't show a snout on the front. Is there a spacer to take of this? Do I have to make one? Will the bolt fail without the snout to keep the sprocket centered?
The snout of this cam is the bearing journal that extends past the bearing and goes into the recess of the sprocket. The dowel of the cam fits into the sprocket and the bolt keeps it together with a special washer. The snout is therefore the same size as the bearing journal and is not a separate feature.

I don't have a dished washer, because I use a bigger washer to cover the dowel.
I had a dowel back out on an engine a few years ago.
Locktight and proper torque.

I don't have a dished washer, because I use a bigger washer to cover the dowel.
I had a dowel back out on an engine a few years ago.
Locktight and proper torque.
That's how I did mine.

-
Back