Comp "Thumper" Cams

-

wazoo64

Reaction score
Anyone use one of these? Looking for feed back as I decide on a cam for my 408 Stroker in the 450HP range.

Personally I would chose a cam based on it's performance capabilities not on how it's going to make my idle sound.

Comp also makes the Xtreme Energy Hydraulic Retrofit roller cams. You can see them on their online catalog. Same roller lifters as the Thumper but are engineered for performance not sound. Crane also sells Retrofit roller cams.

haha fw they make a thumper, a mother thumper and a big mother thumper.the thumper is hyd 486 int473 exh..050 227 int 241 on a 107 c line, I personally think it sux. do you run valve reliefs on your pistons as anything over .500 lift and 290 degres duration will need to have head to valve clearance checked and also piston to head clearances checked.the .484 M.P cam should get you there ,

Thanks for the feedback...I am having Joe Sherman build a stroker for me and he likes this cam. He says it was developed for sound improvement but what they are finding out is that it actually performs better as well. I dont really care about sound. My neighbors already think I'm too loud so rumble is not an issue for me.

Some guy over on moparts put a thumper in a 416 and said it made great power. He really loved the cam in his stroker.

Some guy over on moparts put a thumper in a 416 and said it made great power. He really loved the cam in his stroker.

That's good to hear. I just spoke with Joe about them again and he says he has had great success with them making more power than the extreme cams. He also said that his customers love the drive-in idle they produce.

Why not call up a cam manufacturer and have a cam custom-ground? For me a custom-built stroker engine needs a custom-designed cam.

Thanks for the feedback...I am having Joe Sherman build a stroker for me and he likes this cam. He says it was developed for sound improvement but what they are finding out is that it actually performs better as well. I dont really care about sound. My neighbors already think I'm too loud so rumble is not an issue for me.

If Joe likes em I would be satisfied,thats some good info!,I have always liked the way tighter lobe seperations perform.

Well Joe Sherman got the stroker on the dyno today. I would say that Joe is not a Mopar expert but he knows how to make horsepower. He decided to go with the mutha thumpr cam and it is impressive. 1st pull without even tuning was 583 HP. I couldnt believe it but I was standing right there and saw the dyno report. Even Joe was surprised. He said that he was expecting it to be in the 530 HP range.
He will finish up tomorrow and I will post the full report.

Sweet scan and post the dyno #'s. I would to see the torque peak.
He has a great reputation. The first year of the Engine Master Challenge he built a pretty mean Chevy small block

I agree, I would like to see some build info on your 416. I am building one this winter or next and am always looking for more info. Yours sounds pretty strong!

How did use lose 21 HP from your first pull?

How did you decided on your carb? Everything I've been reading says that I will need to use an 850 cfm minimum for a 416 with good flowing heads.

How did use lose 21 HP from your first pull?

How did you decided on your carb? Everything I've been reading says that I will need to use an 850 cfm minimum for a 416 with good flowing heads.

Joe used his 850CFM QFT carb on the first pull. Racing carb $1000. My carb is a QFT 750 street carb $400. Maybe that was where the HP went. Joe was very surprised to see these numbers. I should have it running this week and be able to get a better feel for the driveability of this cam.

-
Back