Complete Rewire.......72 Dart 360.

-

TriX-RaBBiT

Reaction score
Where to start?

This car has MSD Ignition/distributor/Computer/ excell super coil and multi stage nitrous(controller is msd also i think). It also has 2 mechanical fuel pumps which seem to be beat....

Anyways, long story short, things got a little a let wet during irene last year.
And to start with, whoever did the wiring on this car original left it dangerous at best.

There were two batteries relocated to the trunk next to the fuel cell, one of which had the hot and ground tied together then attached to the body. The nitrous pump controller is also next to the gas tank.... but anyways all the wires are corroded and i dont think this was wired correctly to begin with.

Firstly, any idea where i can track down paperwork on the MSD stuff. And second. Where do i even start?

I'd say start at the MSD website

Is this race only, or street strip, IE do ya need lights turn signals, etc?

How "wet" are we talking? Submerged? If so, you might as well strip ALL electrical devices and give them a great big heave.

Water got into the interior, and the Nitrous controller might be shot. The rest of the stuff seems to have stayed dry(mostly). The thing about where i live is that its 100% humidity and salt air. due to the poor wiring of the cars second owner. much of the wiring is now corroded. Water doesnt appear to have gotten into either the engine or transmission as the bearings and clutch packs are still good.

Its mainly just a street car, the guy i bought it from never took it to the track, though it does have that capability since it has subframe connectors/cal track/ 15x10s on the back. turboaction shifter/linelock/manual valve body and so on.

I do have the original distributor and silver box, but from what i understand from the previous owner, he removed those and put the MSD stuff in because it wasnt very streetable without it.

Ive gotten the motor to turn over, But theres a massive parasitic draw somewhere.... drained my battery dry after two cranks and an hour of sitting without the car on.

That's not good!!

Start by putting a test lamp in series with the battery ground. Then start to unhook "stuff." Pull fuses one at a time, and of course check all switches etc to make sure everything is off.

If that fails, look for anything that is still hooked "hot" to battery. This includes things like the MSD box, the alternator, if something like a street car, would include a stereo (typically has "memory" wire) or a separate amp which probably has a hot lead to the amp.

Should not be too hard to run that down.

-
Back