Compression Battery Terminal

-

Saverio

Reaction score
Yesterday while cleaning my terminals, I discovered the oe lead POS (+) terminal was split/cracked.

Rather than drop $130 for a new cable, I found these compression replacement terminals.

Has anyone used them?

I think the main wire is 4 gauge, not sure about the starter relay wire.

Wondering if a 4 gauge compression terminal would work, or if I'd have to get a 3 or 2 gauge to cram the the extra wire in.

http://www.quickcable.com/products.php?pageId=75

just buy a regular end with the 2 bolt clamp strap over the top for under 5.00

Those look like a much better solution than the strap clamp type.
I would expect that eventually one may have the same kinds of lost connection issue's with those, but probably not nearly as often.

If it does not have to be OE/NOS, why not get a new cable from Rock Auto for < $7.00 + the ride?

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1J1158R

If it does not have to be OE/NOS, why not get a new cable from Rock Auto for < $7.00 + the ride?

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1J1158R

I didn't think to check Rock Auto...

I'll have to look at this a little more. Looks like there are two different cables suggested:

1. "battery to switch cable" - Part # A506U
2. "starter cable" - the part you suggested.

I was trying to avoid having to change the entire cable but, maybe that's not the best plan. ?

Interesting idea.

I didn't see pricing.

How much are they?

They are all over Ebay for around 10 bucks a pair.

Yesterday while cleaning my terminals, I discovered the oe lead POS (+) terminal was split/cracked.

Rather than drop $130 for a new cable, I found these compression replacement terminals.

Has anyone used them?

I think the main wire is 4 gauge, not sure about the starter relay wire.

Wondering if a 4 gauge compression terminal would work, or if I'd have to get a 3 or 2 gauge to cram the the extra wire in.

http://www.quickcable.com/products.php?pageId=75

I throw out the compression ring, fill the terminal with hot solder, then push the cable in. Just like new.

HI,

I would just replace the whole cable. Those two bolt strap things are just a failure waiting to happen. That compression connection may seem like a good idea but unless you can get enough compression force to cold fuse the copper in the cable to metal in the connector it is going to fail eventually as a high current connection. That cold fusion process takes a big, special crimping tool on cables as big as battery cables. I doubt very much that you can get that kind of force with a nut that tightens.

I throw out the compression ring, fill the terminal with hot solder, then push the cable in. Just like new.

Actually, considering the material they are made of that could work great.
(being not lead is what I mean)

RRR, it says for repairs or making your own cables.
I would consider the metal strap with the bolts through it to be more of a temp repair.

Welcome to FABO, can I take your order please?

Actually, considering the material they are made of that could work great.
(being not lead is what I mean)

RRR, it says for repairs or making your own cables.
I would consider the metal strap with the bolts through it to be more of a temp repair.

Welcome to FABO, can I take your order please?

I was talking about the metal strap type when I said temporary. The compression ones look pretty good.

Interesting. My only question with these QuickConnects is auto vibration working the cable out over the long term. Never use one so I don't know how well they retain the cable end. They look to be made for storage battery use, where there is no vibration to worry about.

A ready-made battery cable is the best and most trouble-free solution .... as long as you don't get one made in China....

Why? Those are only supposed to be temporary.

Because they work great, easy to connect, and are simple....Well, I have them "temporarily" on all my cars......On one car for over 30 years with no problems...To each his own I guess

These are real good, only need a vise and propane torch to install. Ready to go, trim the old wire back and install.

http://www.delcity.net/store/Straight-Barrel-Fusion-Battery-Terminals/p_804069

For as little as a replacement cable can be found, that may be a whole lot less work.

Thanks for that info.

I bought one of the compression types to see how it works for now, just to get me up and running.

I guess I'll probably just make my own cable, or rather modify one of the types on Rock Auto for what I need.

-
Back