Compressor rebuild?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Can you rebuild a Denso 10 piston swash plate compressor if its not grenaded? I guess it would only need new gaskets, bearings and reed valve plates? $450 for a rebuilt is high for me. And then, who sells the plates?

Last edited:
Yes, that's what Im looking for but am not sure now if the compressor is a swarsh plate piston or a geroter style like a '92 Honda compressor I saw taken down. I guess Ill have to do a bit more research. Its probably just a bad expansion valve on my 'ol 92 SC400.

Here is that corrected link for that vid

Reseal kit available...I guess thats all it takes if its not grenaded. Took me a while to find out the Lexus part number is a 10PA20C series. I got a lot of green dye by the manifold and connectors.

My 1996 Plymouth Voyager 2.4L uses a Denso 10PA17C. The OE compressor failed - shaft wouldn't turn at ~170K miles. I stripped it for forensics and found the black anodizing had worn off one of the pistons so the bare aluminum galled in the aluminum cylinder bore (1st photo). I had to beat it out with a hammer. A swashplate drives the pistons back and forth, acting upon two opposed hard steel inserts pressed into the pistons.

My 2002 Chrysler T&C uses a Denso 10S20H . I opened it up and fixed it (2nd photo). A rebuilt which made a strange noise from the outset then stopped cooling hardly at all the next summer. I found the rebuilder had put 2 flapper plates on one side and none on the other. The thick backer plate had been serving as a poor flapper on that side (marks from ports). It is a rotating swash-plate. I had saved the OE compressor, which was good since I reused its center section (swashplate and pistons) since less play than in the rebuilt one. The clutch in the OE one had slipped and melted on a 108 F day. I went with a rebuilt w/ clutch since not much more cost than a clutch alone. They are fairly simple inside and almost impossible to assemble wrong (except what rebuilder did). As long as you have the locating pins in, the internal plates only fit a certain way. Interesting that the seals between the sections are just the metal plates which seems iffy, compared to others which use face O-rings, but mine hasn't leaked there. Of course, must be a pristine bench and wipe surfaces with lint-free cloth to be safe.

AC compressor piston - scored.JPG

SAM_0695.JPG

Last edited:
I think these are like Alternators. Very few parts ever go bad (minus a lock up) and they are easily replaceable, ie valve plates and O-rings.

-
Back