Compu cams XE268H question

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I wrote this number down from someone earlier I talked to on here. I don't know if this is the right cam or not. If I decided to go with this cam and put the 340 x heads on the 360 engine in my sons Dart, would this be pretty noticeable change over the stock engine. With this combo, would I be able to run the springs on the 340 heads, assuming they are stock heads or would the cam come with springs. I am going to have the heads done and have the springs changed at that time.

I have no idea what the 340 spring pressures are, but the XE268 uses comps 901-16. Those are the same springs I had to install in mine when I did the cam swap.

No, the springs do not come with the cam unless you get it in kit form.

IF you get the kit it does not come with a double roller. If you call Comp, they will swap the single for the double and adjust the price accordingly.

The kit comes with:

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...Code=CC&Product_Code=K20-223-3&Category_Code=

If you run this, the 901-16 are not double springs, they are spring and damper. When I did my breakin I ran both. Sometimes that part confuses people.

Hope that helps Bill.

Oh, and yeah you should see quite a change over the stock cam if that's what in there now. I'm running a step down with the HE268 and it really woke up my teen.

Compu-Cams XE-268-H

Compu-Cams recommends the #901 Valve Spring

Single Coil w/Damper.....{Application for Street/Strip}

Installed Height..................................... 1.650" @ 101 lbs.
Load-Rate at Height............................... 1.250" @ 242 lbs.

Coil Bind................................................ 1.100"

Maximum Lift for this Valve Spring....... .490" Lift

249-901-16.jpg

I run the same cam in my 318 & Evildart runs it as well in his 340 6 pack. Nice noticeable tone & I'm very happy when I hit the loud pedal.

That teener sounds good even iddling real noticeable cam.makes goodd power too....

Im running that exact cam in my stock 74 360 right now. Been in there for a couple of years now. Sounds great with stock exhaust. Still running the original valve springs. Never had any problems. Sounds a little healthier when compared to my dads 70 340 with a factory grind purple shaft. He is running the same exhaust and head assemblies. Only difference is his is .060 flat tops and mine are standard bore dished pistons.

so Barry, you installed this cam and didn't change the springs on the 340 x heads. If I have to change the springs and buy a kit with all that stuff in it, I may as well go big right. how big can I go and not have to change pushrods or rocker shafts. I have a 509/292 in my 440 Duster. that is what he would like. something like that. would the 508/292 small block purple cam work in this 360 with just changing the springs.

Pretty sure it will.you might check for retainer to guide contact but pretty sure it will go in there with a spring change

bad440, you talking bout the 508/292. I have looking back through some old correspondence and some say to stay away from it in a small block and some say it is a good idea. like anything else, I am confused. It is a 4 speed car. I like the 509/292 in my 440. If I have to change the springs, why not go bigger unless it is going to hurt performance. I have not been around enough of this to know. that's why I ask you guys.

will the 508/292 Mopar purple cam work ok in this 360 for me with the 340 heads.. what is the pro's and con's guys. Bill

What compression and gear are you going to run?

don't know what the compression is. stock 360 with 340 x heads on it. gear will probably be either 3;55 or 3:23. have not put the gears in yet. I am running 3:23 in my Duster with the purple cam in it and I like it.

Mopar makes a single spring with dampner
Works great I have used it Mancini sells them .
I would not run that cam with any gears taller then 3:91
It does not really star pulling till about 2800 on.
Plus the lower the c.r. The worse the bottom end will be .
You can install the cam advanced to compensate some .
I hear a lot of people complain about the 292/509
But I think it pulls hard when in the right setup and it sounds wicked !
I have A brand new one I'd sell cheap pm if interested ?

I would stay with the XE268 and yes, change the springs to the 901-16s. They drop in place with no other parts needed.
The MP cams are hit or miss in terms of quality, and in direct comparison to the XE line, the lobe designs are archaic. You're building an old engine so maybe that works for you. If that's the case you will also need to change the springs with the MP cams, and you really, really have to degree them. You'll want to run either 284 or 509 advanced so buy the timing set with multiple keyways.

Bigger is not always better. I've had numerous cams in this same engine. It is a standard bore 74 360 HP. I once had a MP 284/484 in it a long time ago. It sounded wicked. Never changed the stock springs. Also had a stock converter with 3.55 gears. Bad combination, too much cam and not enough compression or converter.

Then went with MP 272/455 cam with stock springs, 3.91 gears, and a Fairbanks 3000 converter. It works a lot like the original high stall converter that came in the car originally. Ran that for a long time. Had just a slight rumble. Lacked a little bottom end when compared to the original 340 grind.

Next went in a XE268. Love it. Gained a little bottom end to combat the low, low compression (7.5-8.0:1). It sounds great and acts great. The 3.91's are a little too low for the 360. Going to swap them out this winter for the original rear end. Hope the converter still acts fine.

I dont know where Dry Ridge is in comparison to Leitchfield, but your more than welcome to come and listen to it. Like I said before, my dad has a 340 in his 70 duster with a MP reproduction cam of the stock 340. It sounds good and acts strong too. He is just lacking a looser converter. He is running an old one I had that is really tight. He is wanting to go with the factory rear ratio also. Right now he is running a 3.55. I think it acts fine with the 340 but he is use to the factory 3.23's. We can go listen to his also.

I am thinking that it will be the XE268 with new springs and lifters in a kit. just have to find someone to degree it. I have no tools or knowledge to do this.

I would never run the d508 with 323 gears.too tall would be a big pig....

well, I don't know. I am running a 509/292 in my 440 Duster with 3:23 and it is anything but a dog. I don't know how much difference there is between a big block and a small block but I can sit there and roast the tires. That's why I was looking at one for the small block. maybe there is a big difference, I don't know.

A 440 has more torque so in a light car you can get away with less gears .
I would still not use taller then 3:91 gears.
I have 3:23 gears with a 292/509 cam and
A 4 speed it's a pig to take off .
I have 3.91 gears just have not had time to change .

Huge difference between a small and big block. Big engines (such as your 440) will handle a big cam and still have good low end torque. I absolutely guarantee you without a shadow of doubt the 292/509 cam will be a turd on take off in a low compression 360 with 3.23 gears. I've seen guys do it time and time again because they don't have a clue how a cam affects an engine and pick it just because of it's nasty idle and when they get it in they aren't happy with it cause it's a dog. The 268 is much better matched to it.

I've got the XE268 in my 360 as well... Performer intake, Performer 600 cfm carb, 2800 rpm stall converter, 3.55 gears... nice and responsive ... I like it!!

-
Back