Computer Mix up.

-

Back in Time

Reaction score
I have our wireless network set up for no file sharing between mine and my Wife's computer because she does all our Banking and stuff on hers and I go almost any where. I have never set up the one drive app but all the sudden all my files and photo's( several hundred) showed up in her control panel. First any idea's how this happened and how do I get the stuff off her computer and not lose them on mine. My Wife is paranoid about using the internet any way and she is driving me nuts asking " How did this happen!!) Help please if you can. OS is Windows 10 on two Dell Laptops and NO I don't want to change it to anything else :)

Windows update?
control panel>network and internet>network and sharing center>advanced sharing settings..turn OFF file and print sharing...maybe turn off network discovery also if that doesnt wreck your network.

This isn't a chrome browser issue by chance?

All of your "files" shouldn't be in "control panel" ever.

IDK if a browser can do that unless google sync is turned on and both are same chrome login on 2 laptops. It could be the latter as my phone google casn see my laptop google browse history. No difference to me as I use phone during work and laptop when I get home.

Windows update?
control panel>network and internet>network and sharing center>advanced sharing settings..turn OFF file and print sharing...maybe turn off network discovery also if that doesnt wreck your network.

Network Discovery was still turned off but file and print sharing got turned on somehow..Maybe one of those update changes ? Odd my stuff was on hers but hers were not on mine. Just out of curiosity I had her put one of the photo albums in her recycle bin and it put it in mine also. I'm too old for this crap :)

...........And people wonder why I run Linux..........
People should wonder how to run linux...Its like Megasquirt for a computer, there are 5 different ways to have it do the same thing and they all work somehow. You ask 3 linux admins and they will tell you 3 different cryptic command lines to execute and they will all do what you need, then there are drivers that you download verbatim, and then you are not sure what to do with them. Its rock solid but not for everyone. I'd recommend a chromebook or chromebox and an external hard drive for anyone worried about security, not a network based OS such as windows (LAN based, not cloud like Chrome).

Windows 10, nasty unsecure operating system that shares all your personal information. Then along with that is their browser "Edge" that also shares all your personal info and is probably the reason your info is showing up on 2 of your computers.

To start to get a handle on your Windows 10 computer security. The first thing you have to do is have an outlook email and go to the Microsoft Store and download the software to unlock your system from "S Mode" that only allows software to be installed from Microsoft.

Once you get your system unlocked and out of S Mode, then you can go online and get the latest more secure Firefox Browser, install it and set it as your default browser.

Then you can go into the Firefox settings control panel and tighten up your security settings.

A good place to start to make your computer much more secure. Keep learning and ask other skilled computer people on how to help keep things more secure.

There is no one quick fix, it is an ongoing mission for you the computer user to make sure your system is safe and secure.

I disable edge on all the computers I support at work.

It;s easy but not super well documented.

Even if you use another browser, edge is active n the background taking up resources.

From a command prompt-

taskkill /IM "microsoftedge.exe" /F

then-

rename C:\Windows\SystemApps\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbweDisabled

I also use a powershell invoked GUI to permanently uninstall a LOT of resource hog and invasive apps across all users.

It takes some tme and effort to decrapify win 10, but it's worth it.

Back to the OP-

If you are using chrome/gmail, and "sign in" chrome remembers everything and ports it to what ever computer you are using.

browser history, bookmarks, etc.

if you are using chrome synch, then it ports cloud stored files as well.

I'm sure microsoft has similar features with onedrive, etc.

.....but none of this should be in "control panel".

People should wonder how to run linux...Its like Megasquirt for a computer, there are 5 different ways to have it do the same thing and they all work somehow. You ask 3 linux admins and they will tell you 3 different cryptic command lines to execute and they will all do what you need, then there are drivers that you download verbatim, and then you are not sure what to do with them. Its rock solid but not for everyone. I'd recommend a chromebook or chromebox and an external hard drive for anyone worried about security, not a network based OS such as windows (LAN based, not cloud like Chrome).

LOLOL And then YY1 gets in here with cryptic command line instructions on how to fix Windblows

Back to the OP-

If you are using chrome/gmail, and "sign in" chrome remembers everything and ports it to what ever computer you are using.

browser history, bookmarks, etc.

if you are using chrome synch, then it ports cloud stored files as well.

I'm sure microsoft has similar features with onedrive, etc.

Thanks, This was not a problem until it cropped up Yesterday. Just had an update a couple days ago. Guess I'l go back to manually installing them rather than being lazy and just doing auto update. Thanks to every one for the advise. I'm slow but will eventually get it. :)

-
Back