Computer Question ??

-

Small Block

Reaction score
Not being a computer geek, i'm able to set here and punch keys and do what my computer allows me to do. With that scenario i'm sure there is a lot that con be accomplish if i only knew how to control it rather than it control me. My question for the more knowledgeable is this. Several times people here post videos from other sites that most times are very informative BUT on my computer when these videos start to play they will do so but soon they pause and wait to play while they buffer and catch up, making it a very frustrating ordeal in listening to the entire video. Is there a way or a function i need to enable to make this listening less of a hassel and a more rapid use of my time? Any suggestions and help would be greatly appriciated. My system is WindowsXP
Small Block

Probably not your 'putor. You just need to let it load while you go do something else, then hit re-play to see it uninterupted.

Magnum, I have done that before but i thought that the fix might just be a setting or an adjustment. Always looking for solutions. Thanks
Small Block

What kind of computer are you using? Video files have gotten much larger in recent years and if your processor is dated it is going to take a whole lot of time to turn that video.

^like magnumdart said, it's probably not a computer-related problem- what Small Block describes is simply buffering the download- the fix would be a faster internet connection (if available).

Your problem is probably how fast the data is getting into your home. I tend to open many windows all at once, and download two or three vids at the same time. The more I ask it to do the slower it goes. However, if I am looking at something that take up a lot of my time, then the other stuff tends to catch up. All a matter of timing, you just get good at it.

^like magnumdart said, it's probably not a computer-related problem- what Small Block describes is simply buffering the download- the fix would be a faster internet connection (if available).

x2

x3 There are times when our internet is slow and video download seems to take forever. My son complains about "lagging" when he is playing his online games. Some internet providers have slower upload/download speeds. tmm

i have the same issues.i have noticed when i switch from internet providers, it depends on their speeds of the motums. when i had cricket dial-up,which was a wireless service, it was ok, and it would still stop and buffer. i had them upgrade it to their high-speed internet,and the same video, that would stop and load,now played all the way through with no interruptions.i then switched to internet service through dish tv, and they use a box with a seperate motum,and it was slow,worse than cricket,(which by the way used the motum built into my computer).i had dish upgrade it ,and it was kick *** ,but it was 80 bucks a month for high speed, and i could not justify the price so i had them downgrade it. i think it all depends on the service,the speed package and GB storage,and the speed of the motum.

I would check your internet speeds from your provider first. I have the Comcast cable maximum bandwidth for residential, my sister has Comcast with the minimum bandwidth and its a huge difference. Go to www.speedtest.net and pick a server somewhere near MO and do a speedtest to confirm you are getting what you are supposed to from your provider. Other important factors are your OS, video card and RAM. As an example,if you are running Windows XP and only 512mb of RAM, then you will be sucking hind teet right off the bat no matter what your internet speed is. So it could be any or more of the items listed above.

Here is a shot of my speedtest results. The test was from Jax FL to Atl GA.

in my experience ,the fastest/cheapest/best internet service i have had was comcast,but i moved out their service area.

It's almost ALWAYS the speed of your service.
I see it every day, and 99.9 of the time that's what it is and the ISP's will jerk ya around about it when they know it's them.

Your problem as some of the guys say is your internet service. If you haven't got true high speed internet then movies and video are going to be slow to load off You Tube, just the nature of the beast. If you haven't got at least 100Mbps then it ain't high speed. IMO

I was having a bunch of problems and then on X-mas day my laptop jammed up and I said screw it and broke down and went to Best Buy and got a new $349 laptop.

All the problems I was having are history now.

I have "slow" internet on a finacial discount with "basic" TV cable, so I just put up with it. One thing you can do, if you don't mind the nonsense is download something you really want to watch and save it, watch it later, instead of watching it "streaming."

You CAN save Youtube videos, for example I use Firefox, and there's an "add on" you can install called "Video download helper." There are some "streaming" sites that it won't work on, but it does work on many many sites, including Youtube.

My download speed at the link provided above is only about .97 Mbps and this is a "good" day

-
Back