Computer Techs?? Stupid Playtopus Problem!!!

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been having this stupid Playtopus problem for several months now after I downloaded the Service Pack 2 for Vista. I "uninstalled" it but it remains and it still shows up in the programs. But, everytime I go to uninstall it, it says it can't find the program source.

I'm still getting the popups like crazy and I've tried researching on how to find the files in my computer but haven't had any luck in finding them.

Anyone have this problem before and was able to get rid of it without having to pay for some dumb "uninstall program" or something??

Help is MUCH appreciated!!!

I don't use Windows, so I haven't been hit with that nasty little piece of work, but I hate malware even more, so I did some research - Google is your friend (or Bing)!

I found several places that have manual instructions, and it is a multi-step process. All of the places I looked at had pretty much the same steps listed. This one goes into a little more detail and so might be easier to follow. The first part of the page gives a lot of background info, but no worries just follow it down to the instructions.

Take your time, read the instructions completely. The site, above, does have a tool, but it is something that you can do manually by following the instructions. It might be good to print the entire page also and keep it handy.

If you have any questions before you start, come on back.

That is an excellent walk through of it. I found a couple that do the same thing but not nearly as detailed.

Printing it is a good idea, AND make double sure you have selected the right items before proceeding.

I'm going to the task manager but I don't see anything that says "playtopus" or even know what process to look for that's supposed to stop the popups. The ads still pop up on the lower right-hand corner of the screen and say "playtopus advertising" on the bottom of the popup.....aahhhhh this is frustrating!!!

Stop surfin them **** sites.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

get the free version and do a quick scan. If that doesn't find what's causing your problem (it will definitely find stuff, though) do a full scan. But usually the quick scan is all it takes :) Good luck!

Okay sweeet, got this thing wooped!!! Found the little booger hiding way in there! SOB!!
My system is operating like 10x faster now...YES!!!!
Thanks jglen490 and all who offered help!!! That detailed page helped a ton!

-
Back