Concealed Carry Weapon

-
I started packing in 1980 and have carried numerous combos'.

Shoulder holsters get tiring real quick .

I carry this custom S&W model 65 357 in my back right pocket and will never go back to holster

Carried all sorts of auto's and still have 9 1911's and a glock 26 but I carry the magnum

s-w_65-2in.jpg

Autos have lots of sex appeal but for conceal cary there is no substitute for a hammerless, 5-shot revolver that will manage both .357 and 38s. Even "light" .357 loads are enough to ensure that only one carefully placed shot will be needed and you can practice with the less expensive and easier on the arm 38s.

Revolvers hold fewer shots but the fact is that if you need to reload you either have a MAJOR training issue or you are in WAY over your head. I have never carried a reload and have no intention of doing so.

Autos are nice in a lot of ways but wheelguns win where life and death are invovled because of reliability and simplicity. No fancy controlls, just sqeeze the trigger and shoot. Hit a dud round? No probs, just squeeze it again.

Make sure you spend the extra $ and buy factory loaded ammo self-defense loads. This could save your arse if you find yourself in front of a jury and no I am not kidding. NEVER use target ammo ANYONE's handloads for your carry piece!

One well-placed and effective shot is better than a hail of anything else; fewer shots fired the better. Good for you in getting training!

Lastly; I'd recommend two books to ANYONE who wants to carry: "The Truth About Self Defense" and "In the Gravest Extreme" by a retired State Trooper up here in NH named Mossad Ayoob. He knows his stuff very well and runs the Lethal Force Institute up here. He has all the details but the bottom line is that in the most perfect "good shoot" consisting of justifiable self-defense, you can still expect to be cuffed-and-stuffed, arrested, booked and charged with homicide.

"Better tried by 12 than carried by six" is still true but never reach for that thing unless all other options have been 100% exhausted.

"Fight crime, shoot back" -LY

I normally carry a Colt 1991 compact in a forward cant high rise holster, and a loose t shirt covers it well. I've also carried a Ruger 357 Police Service Six in a 2" barrel and my only complaint was the weight. The S&W airweights and the Taurus titanium revolvers are awesome. My buddy just got a new S&W with the crimson trace grips, hammerless, DAO, in 357 and it's LIGHT! You can carry it in a pocket holster if you wear somewhat baggy jeans. I carry everyday because the shop is not in the nicest part of town, and I always make the bank deposits, so I've been looking at the Ruger LCR too since it's so light. My Colt compact is all steel and just a little bit heavy.

I have always liked the .45 cal. ACP for stopping power. I use a Colt Combat Commander. For greater concealment, I use a Walther PPK .380.

Also intriguing is the Taurus Judge Lightweight with 2-1/2 inch barrel. Imagine that thing with alternating loads of .410 shotgun shells and .45 cal bullets.

Since I'm poor, I carry a Taurus PT24/7 Pro Compact, chambered in .40 S&W. I like the .40 cal round because it carries a lot of power, especially in the premium defense rounds, and it is quite accurate, the extra capacity over .45ACP is just a bonus. I am about to buy either a Kel-Tec P3AT or a Ruger LCP as a back pocket gun in the near future though, I like the idea of a tiny backup gun.

l_fa4aede5f1104e43893f19d9a3a07c2a.jpg

A Seacamp .32 will fit in your pants pocket. So will a Beretta Tomcat .32.

I like to carry a Glock Model 32 which is a compact .357 Sig.:-D

F it, just go for broke!!! :snakeman::snakeman::snakeman:
DESERTEAGLE.jpg

Remember that this is supposed to be concealed, lol! I'd look kinda funny walking the dogs on a 100 degree day in a parka.

I started packing in 1980 and have carried numerous combos'.

Shoulder holsters get tiring real quick .

I carry this custom S&W model 65 357 in my back right pocket and will never go back to holster

Carried all sorts of auto's and still have 9 1911's and a glock 26 but I carry the magnum

Thanks for your insight Dart-swinger. Pocket carry makes sense if it's in the same pocket that my wallet should be in. Do you find that it makes driving/sitting uncomfortable?

Autos have lots of sex appeal but for conceal cary there is no substitute for a hammerless, 5-shot revolver that will manage both .357 and 38s. Even "light" .357 loads are enough to ensure that only one carefully placed shot will be needed and you can practice with the less expensive and easier on the arm 38s.

Revolvers hold fewer shots but the fact is that if you need to reload you either have a MAJOR training issue or you are in WAY over your head. I have never carried a reload and have no intention of doing so.

Agreed. 2 shots should really do it and I also agree with the versatality of the .38/.357.

Autos are nice in a lot of ways but wheelguns win where life and death are invovled because of reliability and simplicity. No fancy controlls, just sqeeze the trigger and shoot. Hit a dud round? No probs, just squeeze it again.

Again I agree. Realiablity and simplicity in a compact package.

Make sure you spend the extra $ and buy factory loaded ammo self-defense loads. This could save your arse if you find yourself in front of a jury and no I am not kidding. NEVER use target ammo ANYONE's handloads for your carry piece!

I've read about this as well and expect to hear more about it in class.

One well-placed and effective shot is better than a hail of anything else; fewer shots fired the better. Good for you in getting training!

Training is key. This is not something I take lightly. Wether it be training for my dogs so that they are "good citizens" or the ability to save my life. Both could be considered deadly force.

Lastly; I'd recommend two books to ANYONE who wants to carry: "The Truth About Self Defense" and "In the Gravest Extreme" by a retired State Trooper up here in NH named Mossad Ayoob. He knows his stuff very well and runs the Lethal Force Institute up here. He has all the details but the bottom line is that in the most perfect "good shoot" consisting of justifiable self-defense, you can still expect to be cuffed-and-stuffed, arrested, booked and charged with homicide.

I've read some of Mr. Ayoob's articles over the years in various magazines. On your suggestion I will also pick up one of his books. Thank you for your insight.

"Better tried by 12 than carried by six" is still true but never reach for that thing unless all other options have been 100% exhausted.

"Fight crime, shoot back" -LY

This would be used only to save my life, not as a matter of pride.

I normally carry a Colt 1991 compact in a forward cant high rise holster, and a loose t shirt covers it well. I've also carried a Ruger 357 Police Service Six in a 2" barrel and my only complaint was the weight. The S&W airweights and the Taurus titanium revolvers are awesome. My buddy just got a new S&W with the crimson trace grips, hammerless, DAO, in 357 and it's LIGHT! You can carry it in a pocket holster if you wear somewhat baggy jeans. I carry everyday because the shop is not in the nicest part of town, and I always make the bank deposits, so I've been looking at the Ruger LCR too since it's so light. My Colt compact is all steel and just a little bit heavy.

Wieght is important. It won't do me any good if I don't carry it. The S&W is also on my short list.

I have always liked the .45 cal. ACP for stopping power. I use a Colt Combat Commander. For greater concealment, I use a Walther PPK .380.

Also intriguing is the Taurus Judge Lightweight with 2-1/2 inch barrel. Imagine that thing with alternating loads of .410 shotgun shells and .45 cal bullets.

The .45 ACP is at the top in regards to stopping power. I'd carry a .45 Colt revolver if I could conceal it, lol!

Yes, that Taurus is intriguing!

Since I'm poor, I carry a Taurus PT24/7 Pro Compact, chambered in .40 S&W. I like the .40 cal round because it carries a lot of power, especially in the premium defense rounds, and it is quite accurate, the extra capacity over .45ACP is just a bonus. I am about to buy either a Kel-Tec P3AT or a Ruger LCP as a back pocket gun in the near future though, I like the idea of a tiny backup gun.

l_fa4aede5f1104e43893f19d9a3a07c2a.jpg

I too like the .40 S&W as a self defense round. A good comprimise all the way around.

A Seacamp .32 will fit in your pants pocket. So will a Beretta Tomcat .32.

I like to carry a Glock Model 32 which is a compact .357 Sig.:-D

Hmm.. Forgot about the Seacamp and Berreta. Nice idea but I'm still leaning toward a revolver.

Here's the new Ruger LCR:

454.jpg

I'm taking the necessary class and getting my CWP. My Dad and I went today and bought Kel-Tecs. He bought a P-3AT and I bought a PF-9. My Browning HI Power is just a little big to conceal in the summer.

Oh man, I love those Brownings. Real steel 100%. Good to hear that you're taking care of business and taking classes too.

I know a guy that carries a small autoloader in a Safepacker and loves it. It could pass as a day planner for the average person. I knew what it was right away because I know the guy and was already familiar with the thing. That could be viewed as a liability.

http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

He recently picked up a Rock Island Armory Compact 1911 chambered in .45 ACP. It's really an impressive piece of hardware (especially for the money). Ultimately, stay with what's most comfortable. I like my 1911 Commander, but a Ruger revolver is pretty much bomb-proof. Not sure what's out there in warm weather concealment rigs for revolvers. I could possibly make one if nothing suitable pops up on the market.

Oh man, I love those Brownings. Real steel 100%. Good to hear that you're taking care of business and taking classes too.

My Browning is the silver chrome model 24k plated trigger and factory installed pakmyers. I've owned 2 of them. The first one I bought somewhere about '86 didn't like hollow points very well even after some ramp work so I sold it. I went looking for another in '92 and the guy at the gun shop told me Browning had cured the feeding problem w/hollow points. Well he was telling the truth I have probably put 500+ rounds thru it and has never jammed, no matter how fast you fire it.

Florida requires you to take or have taken some type of a gun safety class to get your CWP. I'm almost 52 and have hunted since I was 8 and carried a pistol for years when I lived up north. Never crossed my mind I would have needed the class or would have taken the free Hunter safety course years ago.

pix2505786156.jpg

I carry the HK USP in .40 cal. Shot 800 rounds in one day at a defensive pistol class without cleaning it. Shot different ammo ,never jammed or had any problems;thats reliability. Its an expensive gun ,but whats your life worth. Here in Alaska its kinda nice we dont need the permit to carry conceal anymore. So who knows who's carrying,maybe everyone...LOL

Ramcharger I carry my gun in my back right side pocket since I am right handed.It only took a week or so to get used to the wallet in my left rear pocket.When I get in a car I just lay the gun on the seat or if I have to leave it, in the glove box.After taking it out to lay on the seat you become real efficent of pulling it out of your pocket quickly without thinking about it which is what you want when you need it 8)

Here is a picture of my Union Switch and Signal 1911a1.

The one on the top is the real deal and the bottom one is a US&S slide on an essex frame I sold to help pay for the other one

Union Switch & Signal 007.jpg

I carried either a Browning 9mm or a Colt Trooper MK 3 in the .357 variety.
When I was running on the Fire/Rescue I always had the Browning in a pancake holster in the small of my back. Since I always wore a fire dept. jacket, it was easy to conceal, slim, lightweight as well as easy to pull out if needed.....
nothing like going to a backwoods bar fight and being 10 minutes ahead of the nearest deputy.
The .357 was a bit of overkill and I always felt like it I had a 5lb. weight hanging from my left arm pit but it sure did stop the guy that pistol whipped and robbed me at gunpoint. He will never rob anybody else.

i'm partial to a full size .45 1911 springfield. It's a pretty big gun, but with an inside the waistband holster I carried one for years all day everyday with no problems. I got lazy and started carring a Glock 23 in .40 cal. no problems. When I bought the Glock It was down to it and an SP101. If you want a revolver Ruger a .357 is pretty good. You could practice with .38 and carry .357 . I can carry my glock in the waistband under a t-shirt or under a dress shirt in a t-shirt holster.

I always have my sp101 with me. Magna ported .357 nice and compact with some stopping power. Sometimes I carry my SA 1911 in a Blackhawk serpa shoulder holster. Next one will be (hopefully soon) a compact XD 45. If anyone comes across a Ruger MKII, I've been looking for one of those too. Doesn't matter about barrel length because its going to be changed.

I carried either a Browning 9mm or a Colt Trooper MK 3 in the .357 variety.
When I was running on the Fire/Rescue I always had the Browning in a pancake holster in the small of my back. Since I always wore a fire dept. jacket, it was easy to conceal, slim, lightweight as well as easy to pull out if needed.....
nothing like going to a backwoods bar fight and being 10 minutes ahead of the nearest deputy.
The .357 was a bit of overkill and I always felt like it I had a 5lb. weight hanging from my left arm pit but it sure did stop the guy that pistol whipped and robbed me at gunpoint. He will never rob anybody else.

Good to hear you're still alive and kicking and the perp got his. What factory .357 load were you using?

i'm partial to a full size .45 1911 springfield. It's a pretty big gun, but with an inside the waistband holster I carried one for years all day everyday with no problems. I got lazy and started carring a Glock 23 in .40 cal. no problems. When I bought the Glock It was down to it and an SP101. If you want a revolver Ruger a .357 is pretty good. You could practice with .38 and carry .357 . I can carry my glock in the waistband under a t-shirt or under a dress shirt in a t-shirt holster.

Looks like I'll be wearing my t-shirts untucked. I like the t-shirt idea when doing my day to day thing as I have to wear business clothes. Doktorx's daytimer idea is good to as I usually have to carry one around anyway.

I always have my sp101 with me. Magna ported .357 nice and compact with some stopping power. Sometimes I carry my SA 1911 in a Blackhawk serpa shoulder holster. Next one will be (hopefully soon) a compact XD 45. If anyone comes across a Ruger MKII, I've been looking for one of those too. Doesn't matter about barrel length because its going to be changed.

I'll keep my eyes open for a Mk II for ya. Did the magnaporting make a big difference?

Going to the gun store today to look around and get some prices. I was supposed to get a sp101 from an estate sale but that fell through.

-
Back