Concept cars

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
its kinda interesting to see concept cars .......when i see one i think "wow, what is the practicallity of the design" some concept cars are quite radical in terms of street and real world function. some have such elaborate aspects to them that would be high maintence architectural features in the real world.

So what is a concept car: could it be called an engineer's play ground? a place to create a fantasy that will knowingly never make production.
Does a concept car trigger ideas in ways to justify an often labor intense high budget project?.....is there a percent of concept cars the make its way to production cars? is there a factory requirement, i doubt a major corporation will pay a team of designers to create totally unrealistic fantasies all day, the bottom line to a corperation is that this is a business.

Also, as i compare the concept cars of the sixties to the concept cars now, they seem to contrast in one key way. And that is, the ones created in the sixties seem to look foward, like maybe what ppl of the times envisioned the future to look like, with very jetson designs. where the new ones seem to capture an essence that was already, they seem to re-capture a feeling that is long dead and it seems to be a very difficult challenge to accomplish that in a world so much different than that of the late 60s and early 70s. so the new concept cars almost seem fake to me bcoz the essence they attempt to recapture is through a very small window.....meaning not all cars in the late 60s early 70s were high impact colored with a shaker hood and R/T emblems plastered on every panel with a HEMI, so the focal point of the re-cap is a very far and in between aspect of the past.

so i would like to know more about the thought behind and process of a concept car ...if anyone has more info

Attachments

• ctc5_m.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 894
  • 2008-cuda-concept-design-by-rafael-r.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 890
  • demon.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,298
  • 12.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,444
  • The-1964-Dodge-Hemi-Charger-Concept-Car-Design.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 930
  • 1960PlymouthXNR_01_1500.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 870
Concept cars are a lot of things. Technology test beds to determine the feasability of technology in cars. The are design trial balloons. Just like white house policy leaks. You float something out there unofficially to see if everyone hates it. In the 60s when car companies had lot of money they were playthings or engineers and designers. They had the money so they would just build something to see if it could be done.

ohh I'd love to drive the (pic 5)gold unit there. Dang that's sweet lookin to me! and pic (2) but I am partial to convertibles anyway so I like all the topless type Cars.

ohh I'd love to drive the (pic 5)gold unit there. Dang that's sweet lookin to me! and pic (2) but I am partial to convertibles anyway so I like all the topless type Cars.

Supposedly pic five is a new demon, but we all know how concepts go.

Attachments

• dia4.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 749
  • dia3.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 969
  • dia.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 799
  • qw19.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 771
  • qw41.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 835
  • qw42.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 766
  • qw50.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 797
  • RTS%20RR.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 802
  • zxz21.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 821
  • zxz1036.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 790
How about the 1975 Barracuda concept? Pretty interesting :glasses7:

Attachments

• 1975_plymouth_barracuda+concept_car6.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 793
  • 1975_plymouth_barracuda+concept_car5.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 843
  • 1975_plymouth_barracuda+concept_car3.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 3,153
  • 1975_plymouth_barracuda+concept_car7.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 1,126
  • 1975_plymouth_barracuda+concept_car2.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,095
  • 1975barracuda-20.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 2,621
  • 1975_plymouth_barracuda+concept_car4.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 936
Another neat one....

Attachments

• 3-1967-barracuda-plymouth-vintage-styling-design-concept-rendering-sketch-john-samsen.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 771
i am also curious if each concept car has a determined life expectancy.

i found a video of some turbine cars getting crushed ......it seems they completed their tour of duty and were no longer needed ....so do most Concept cars meet this same fate? where are the thousands of Concept Cars that were created now? i doubt they are released to the public due to federal conformity and product change laws.

interesting

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKumqcKuv1g"]Chrysler Turbine Cars being destroyed - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, most are usually destroyed, very few make it through the hoops and get out into public hands, some may even be donated to schools or museums.

My father in law worked for Chrysler when those were supposed to come around. Said the designer went to GM and out came the solstice and sky
Probably the same guy who designed the PT Cruiser and then went over to GM and that other ugly HHR thing came around. Either way both vehicles are ugly.

I see concept cars as vehicles that the engineers/designers get to build with no limitations, it showcases their talents/vision/abilities. No accountants/goverment restrictions. Kinda like a dog off of its leash. The regular production cars are dogs on leashes, so to speak.
The barracuda looks awesome!

I seen the Razor years ago when I was at Barrett Jackson in the Dodge display, it came with a razor scooter in the trunk that was painted to match the car, pretty cool!

here's a few,

The Dodge Zeo, short for “Zero Emissions Operations” Concept vehicle is likely to be the Chrysler Group’s newest crowning achievement with it’s entry into the increasingly popular hybrid vehicle market. Labeled by the manufacturer as a “next generation muscle car” the Zeo electric sports car follows in the footsteps of the now well-established all-electric exotic Tesla Roadster. Designed as “four-passenger sport wagon” (think Subaru Forrester, WRX hatchback, etc.) the Dodge Zeo is a happy concession, seeking the middle ground between environmentalists and enthusiasts alike. Reportedly the Zeo’s electric, lithium-ion battery powerplant can last up to 250 miles before needing recharging and goes from 0-60 miles per hour in under six seconds.

Why we need this car today:
The fact that this car has an all-electric motor is definitely a step in the right direction for both Chrysler and those wanting to end our dependence on fossil fuels; besides it would be fun to hear people ask “Does That Thing Have A Hemi?”

65'amc vixen,

Attachments

• 65amc vixen.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 640
68' AMX GT, 99 Charger r/t concept, Amc Vignale, AMX II

Attachments

• amx II.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 597
  • amc vignale.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 653
  • 99 chargerrt.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 668
  • 68amx gt.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 669
they should have made this one..

attachment.php

Audi A 10, Chrysler ME Four-Twelve, Firepower

Attachments

• audi a10.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 720
  • chrysler me four-twelve.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 862
  • firepower.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 655
The concept Chally pic that 73AbodEE posted above is on a poster that's been hanging in my office for years. The car made it out alive, but I'm not sure where it went ??

I was told it was built for the Detroit Auto Show and only had a small fuel cell to get it on & off the platform for the show. He said it didn't have a Hemi & the motor barely ran.....

Attachments

• Hemi Poster 001.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 715
  • Hemi Poster 002.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 658
-
Back