Concerned about my cam choice. Opinions.

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
This is what I am replacing. It worked very well and sounded great. I have the compression (11+), heads, Victor 340 intake, Holley 800 dp, 4 speed, 3.91 gears, TTI 2.5" exhaust with "X" pipe and 26" tire so support it.

But I also have the 340 exhaust manifolds back on (but we can ignore this for a moment because headers may be in the car's future.)

Crower Street Roller (Solid) This is the 1989 version which is not the same as the one offered under the same grind number now. These are all the specs I have.

#31406 (lobe center 112, Adv dur 290 294, lift .550 .555, RPM range 3200 to 7200)

This is what I just ordered as a replacement.

• Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 273/279
• Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 243/249
• Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .578/.585
• LSA/ICL: 110/106
• Valve Lash (Int/Exh): 016/016
• RPM Range: 2800-6800

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1552&gid=290

Opinions? Comments? Concerns?

I have been thinking about sending it back as soon as it gets here and going for something smaller like a........

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1550&gid=290

or

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1551&gid=290

I know you didn't ask this but have you thought of having a custom reground to exactly what you're replacing? You seemed to be real happy with it so if it worked so well, why take chances?

sounds like the lunati grind will have more lower rpm torque and yet keep the top end hp near what u had by means of more lift.

sounds like a good cam to me.

Iron or aluminum headed?

My kind of cam, my kind of combo.

If it were a iron head engine, I'd stay with the big cam to bleed compression off a bit. Aluminum can go smaller, but... why? Not to much smaller I'd go....just me of course.

I know you didn't ask this but have you thought of having a custom reground to exactly what you're replacing? You seemed to be real happy with it so if it worked so well, why take chances?

Yup, I called Crower and they said they could fix my old cam and put the same grind back on it for $180.

But you know how it goes... Sometimes you want to try something new.

Iron or aluminum headed?

My kind of cam, my kind of combo.

If it were a iron head engine, I'd stay with the big cam to bleed compression off a bit. Aluminum can go smaller, but... why? Not to much smaller I'd go....just me of course.

Iron head but I will be dumping in a half tank of 110 like I did before.

Is you motor stroked or standard displacement? FWIW, I have a comp solid roller that is ~ 1 size larger than the one you have in my 410 stroker (248/254 duration, .576/.582 lift). It is GREAT on the street, buckets of torque and pulls hard up top. Current times are below, and these times were not in the good fall air either...looking for a new best this spring in the 10.7 range.

if you lower the duration too much you might up the dynamic compression a bit...

so you will probably get more power but you may be putting full tanks of 110 not the half tanks. it's hard to say

KB has a compression calc on their website that will calc the static and dynamic comp ratios. but you need to know bore / stroke / head cc's etc as well as the cam specs. if you know all the info check it out and compare the before and after

http://www.kb-silvolite.com/calc.php

I was just goign to ask - 340 or 416? Open or closed chambers? Iron or aluminum? Is there something particular you don;t like about the existing Crower?

Yup, I called Crower and they said they could fix my old cam and put the same grind back on it for $180.

But you know how it goes... Sometimes you want to try something new.

Just don't tell your wife that. lol.

I was just goign to ask - 340 or 416? Open or closed chambers? Iron or aluminum? Is there something particular you don;t like about the existing Crower?

The thing I don't about the existing Crower cam is that it has damaged lobes from roller lifter failure and the RPM range was a bit higher than I want.

It was a 20+ year old grind and I thought I could find something that worked a little better.

That's the main thing.

By the way.... It's a 340 with X heads.

-
Back