Condensation under valve covers --E85?

-

Hoophoop

Reaction score
Anyone running E85 fuel have condensation collecting under valve covers excessively? I'm just running breathers on both valve covers, should
I be installing an EVAC, or PCV back to intake?

Sounds like you aren't getting it hot enough

I guess I have only been running it for a few minutes at a time, PCV might be my best bet, wonder if I should PCV both sides, or leave one K&N breather on one side , and PCV the other?

Oil needs to be at operating temp for 30min+ to burn off water and other contaminates.

I guess I have only been running it for a few minutes at a time, PCV might be my best bet, wonder if I should PCV both sides, or leave one K&N breather on one side , and PCV the other?
there is a science behind it - so street then - one PVC, one breather - I'm thinking you should be doing some reading up on it

read up on how a PCV system works and then it will be clear that you want one breather (to let air in) and one PCV valve (to suck it back out)

Got to agree with the PCV on one side and breather on the other.
You engine will thank you for it in the long run.

What vacuum level do you have at idle in the intake manifold? As you read upon PCV operation, you will learn that they have 2 flow levels (higher for cruise/open throttle, and low for idle); at idle vacuum levels, the PCV should close down to allow less air flow into the intake. It does this by responding to the intake maniofld vacuum level.

If you have a mild to moderate cam or more, then the idle vacuum levels will be low compared to a stock cam, and the stock type PCV will not close down and will upset the idle air mixture. In that situation, you choose a different PCV valve that will close down to the loser flow level at the lower idle vacuum levels.

Here is a recent thread with a few alternate PCV part numbers for use with non-stock cams. Good quality PCV valve

Both of these are important for street use.

If you are only running it for short periods, the engine doesn't really get warm enough to burn off the condensation.

Not running to temp is also hard on exhaust systems because it creates a lot of condensation inside the pipes and mufflers.
If that condensation doesn't get burned off it lays in the exhaust and rots it.

Just adding some info Bruce, as I know that you know this already. :D

basically we are saying you need to take it for longer walks, or it's just going to keep tearing up the house and crapping on the carpet :)

Unless you want to use the PCV for emissions, then do not use the breather. The PCV can and WILL pull vacuum in the crankcase if you leave the breather off.

You really should use the PCV with no breather, and a pan evac system. At idle, the PCV will carry the load, vacuum wise, and the pan evac will help a little. At cruise the PCV and pan evac will both be working, the PCV will probably carry a bit more pull than the pan evac, but they both will be pulling crankcase vacuum. At WOT th PCV won't do anything but the pan evac will.

This isn't new. Not many guys did it because they tried it with a breather on the cover. Neither will work with a breather, unless you care about emissions. Using both covers theweakness of each one.

The reason it fell out of favor is dry sumps and vacuum pumps.

I'd think the condensation is because you aren't getting enough temp in it, and your idle tune up is off.

-
Back