confused on my 383 build

-
M

mr 4speed

i cant decide what to do, i dont see any high comp pistons for a 383 except high dollar custom pistons. im trying to put togather a fairly cheap high revving engine for my swinger using a 383 with a light wieght high compression piston, solid 590 purple shaft cam and pro comp cnc ported heads. i see plenty of 400 pistons in many comp ratios can the block be bored to use a 400 piston or should i go another route. im trying to get my dart in the 7's in an 1/8th or faster

What do you mean by "performance type"? What kind of compression ratio are you going for? I don't think I would try to bore a 383 out to 400 bore size. You would have to go 0.090". The cylinder walls would be getting pretty thin by then. There are plenty of aftermarket 383 pistons available. Depending on how fast you are wanting to go, you may want to look in to a stroker kit from someplace like 440 Source. 7's in the 1/8 will be around 11's in the quarter. The extra cubes would definitely help.

i cant decide what to do, i dont see any performance type pistons for a 383 except high dollar custom pistons. im trying to put togather a fairly cheap high revving engine for my swinger using a 383 with a light wieght high compression piston, solid 590 purple shaft cam and pro comp cnc ported heads. i see plenty of 400 pistons in many comp ratios can the block be bored to use a 400 piston or should i go another route. im trying to get my dart in the 7's in an 1/8th or faster

keith black sells pistons for a 383

looking for somthing like 11.5-1 compression. im letting my engine builder find the pistons and he cant seem to find anything or there not in stock.

looking for somthing like 11.5-1 compression. im letting my engine builder find the pistons and he cant seem to find anything or there not in stock.

He must not be lookin very hard because Summit Racing has 4 pages worth of 383 pistons on their website. They range from $324 to $665.

You need to engineer it a little. "Budget" and "hi winding" generally do not work well together... Cut the block to blueprint deck height minus .010 by square decking (and it will take a bit because they are always tall to begin with...), run a flat top piston like the KB162 and reduce the head chamber dramatically to get your comression. You will also have to mill the ends of the block and the heads' intake manifold's flanges so an intke fits. That's what I'd do. Welcome to trying to build a snotty 383...lol

He must not be lookin very hard because Summit Racing has 4 pages worth of 383 pistons on their website. They range from $324 to $665.
I think you might want to find another engine builder if he can't find pistons by now...he may not know how to build Mopar engines....8)

You need to engineer it a little. "Budget" and "hi winding" generally do not work well together... Cut the block to blueprint deck height minus .010 by square decking (and it will take a bit because they are always tall to begin with...), run a flat top piston like the KB162 and reduce the head chamber dramatically to get your comression. You will also have to mill the ends of the block and the heads' intake manifold's flanges so an intke fits. That's what I'd do. Welcome to trying to build a snotty 383...lol

pretty good info but i'm thinking with the "B" motors you shouldn't have to mill the ends of the block.

Dave , the KB162 is the worst piston to recommend to anyone , that piston starts at .024 in the hole on a blueprint deck , the only higher compression piston readily available is the kb400 , it's rated at 10.0 , but I think one would be hard pressed to get that much unless a lot of block and head decking is done .

To the op , to get the compression you want with a 383 is going to require a custom domed piston wit ha small combustion chamber .

I'm in the process of building a 12.5 383 , but to get there it required a 3.9 stroke crank , a custom piston with a net 9.9 cc dome while using an 82 cc open chamber head .

pretty good info but i'm thinking with the "B" motors you shouldn't have to mill the ends of the block.

Bob , if one cuts the block enough and is using a head that's also been decked the amount required to get any compression in a 383 you will have to cut the end rails , the block I started with was cut .018 and the heads about .060 , I had to take .075 off the end rails to get the valley pan to fit properly .

John, it's something that I use on a street 383 build. So I recommend it. Yes, it requires a big chunk off the decks, but que sera sera. This is one of the reasons I dont like building 383s. If the goal is high winding I'd be using a quality forged piston. If the budget restricts I'll go KB162 and work with them and the closed chamber design. I hate domes and the stock type pistons neeed deeper valve reliefs.

All you high compression guys like buying race gas do you? You can go plenty fast on pump gas if you build it right.

With that 590 MP cam in a 383, you better have a lot of gear. And if an automatic, lots of stall too.

I guess it's just me but I've never been able to build a "budget" high winding 383. The budget usually goes south when I order the forged pistons and rods.

John, it's something that I use on a street 383 build. So I recommend it. Yes, it requires a big chunk off the decks, but que sera sera. This is one of the reasons I dont like building 383s. If the goal is high winding I'd be using a quality forged piston. If the budget restricts I'll go KB162 and work with them and the closed chamber design. I hate domes and the stock type pistons neeed deeper valve reliefs.

Problem is the KB has a valve CANYON not reliefs , the only 383 piston with a valve relief in a flat top is the Diamond piston, more realistic relief and a higher CH , not that .008 is much .

I used new old stock set of forged TRW that were rated at 12.5 after it was all done are engine builder said that the motor was more like 11.5

-
Back