Confusing...

-

Jim Lusk

Reaction score
So, we just recently started shopping for a used motor home. Went to SoCal to look at one this past Saturday. Too many things messed up, not from age or miles, but from rough use. So, we came home and I looked around and found what looked like a great deal on one in Las Vegas (on Craig's List). Called the phone # this morning. Number no longer in service. OK, no problem, guy fat fingered his phone #, I'll email. Got an email back in a short time. Guy with the email associated with the ad does not have an RV for sale and was very nice about it.

So, can't be a scam as there's no way to contact the scammer. What theories do you guys have?

When I was in the Navy someone put a flyer up for a nearly new Harley Davidson at the Base Exchange. There was a ridiculously low price on it. Funny thing was it was a Chiefs motorcycle that wasn't for sale. Some of his Sailors had made the ad and put his phone number on it. He must have gotten a thousand calls.

When I was in the Navy someone put a flyer up for a nearly new Harley Davidson at the Base Exchange. There was a ridiculously low price on it. Funny thing was it was a Chiefs motorcycle that wasn't for sale. Some of his Sailors had made the ad and put his phone number on it. He must have gotten a thousand calls.
I get that. That's a good joke to pull on somebody.

In 1980 I was recovering from a broken back and the phone kept ringing. One of the local clubs (Elks or something) was having a party and had a bunch of flyers printed up with the wrong phone number on it...ours...

Jim you get what you pay for on Craigslist. What kind of RV are you looking for? My wife and I have rented one the last two summers and I am thinking that I might want to try my hand on one for retirement? We rented a BIG one but wouldn't need that much space.

1670934430154.png

We're looking for a small diesel pusher (30-36 foot), but it must have at least 7k tow capacity, 10k would be better. That makes the list short. Both the one we looked at the Craig's List ad were Tiffin Phaetons. Certain year Winnebago Journey DL and at least some Kountry Coaches have the 10k hitch as well. We looked at a really nice coach in Gilroy a couple of weeks ago, but it only had 4k tow capacity.

And, yes, I know lots of folks are exceeding the tow capacity (and I likely do with my Durango), but I won't do that on something this big and not for a trip as long as we have planned.

A while back I start getting a bunch of calls for different things listed on Craigslist, I had nothing for sale.
Went to Craigslist and searched my number without the area code, found a bunch of listings in a different area, same number but no area code listed.
The area had a different area code, people assumed their own area code.

I got a parts car some time back, phone was a dead end, used the email and got a correct number, transposed last two digits.

Alan

We're looking for a small diesel pusher (30-36 foot), but it must have at least 7k tow capacity, 10k would be better. That makes the list short. Both the one we looked at the Craig's List ad were Tiffin Phaetons. Certain year Winnebago Journey DL and at least some Kountry Coaches have the 10k hitch as well. We looked at a really nice coach in Gilroy a couple of weeks ago, but it only had 4k tow capacity.

And, yes, I know lots of folks are exceeding the tow capacity (and I likely do with my Durango), but I won't do that on something this big and not for a trip as long as we have planned.
Anything after 2006 (engine year), run away from any diesel as fast as you can.

I get that. That's a good joke to pull on somebody.

In 1980 I was recovering from a broken back and the phone kept ringing. One of the local clubs (Elks or something) was having a party and had a bunch of flyers printed up with the wrong phone number on it...ours...
I had a Mazda truck for sale in 1995 and it sold before the ad ran out.
As a joke, I called the paper and lowered the price, then changed the phone number to a buddy that also had a Mazda truck. His was NOT for sale.
He got bombarded with calls for 3 days.

-
Back