Connecting Rob Bearing Question

-

airkiller

MOPARS Rule
Reaction score
I am building up a 318 for a 73 Dart for my kid. I have noticed that the clevite bearings I have for the rods present an issue as compared to the shop manual. The shop manual indicates that the rod bearing cap has a "V" Groove in one end of the mating face. The bearing must be installed with the "V" in it lined up with that of the cap. This is to provide oil lubrication in the cylinder bore aross from it. QUESTION: What is done when the Clevite Rod Bearing I was supplied with do not have said "V" cut in them. Are they filed in by the assembler or is there a problem with the bearing?

Do a search, this problem was posted a while back. I have used clevite cl-77's and have not had this happen BUT it has been a few years since I've built a new motor.

Yes, there is a tang on each of the bearing halves. But the Shop manual calls for a "V" to be lined up with the "V" in the bearing cap?

The old school thing was to squirt oil onto the base of the cylinder from the opposite rod on the same crank throw. It really isn't necessary and most bearings no longer have the hole opposite the tab end.

Well the engine now has rod bearings that have a "v" per the shop manual. I filed the "v" to exact size as the bearing cap. Do you feel this is a bad thing or just a little more work for myself. I deburred the filings so there should not be any ill effects, I hope!

Sounds like you did it correct. It should be ok.

Well the engine now has rod bearings that have a "v" per the shop manual. I filed the "v" to exact size as the bearing cap. Do you feel this is a bad thing or just a little more work for myself. I deburred the filings so there should not be any ill effects, I hope!

If it is for a low rpm truck it's ok but I wouldn't do it on a high perf. application. The rings already have enough oil to scrape off the cylinder walls. JMHO

just fine,,, no prob...but I guess not necessary. but it wont hurt any thing either.
my 318 has the same bearings, I did not put in the v. I guess the v would help lube the cylinders. I mean, youre gonna have oil coming out between the rods anyway, that oil is goin somehere. from out of those journals and the crank is spinnin pretty fast. May be it (the v) was originally for low rpm cylinder lubing. Now im curious??

That's exactly what it's for. (low rpm lube)

There is no low amounts of oil being tossed on the bores regardless of rpm. If you feel otherswise, remember the cam and lifters are oiled the same way. However the hole there is a point of pressure loss to the rod bearing surface, and the additional oil it shoots out can overload the oil ring when it is trying to remove it all. You'll note aftermarket rods dont have that groove in the cap either.

-
Back