Consistent E.T's

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I always hear how automatic transmissions give a guy a chance at more consistent elapsed times: truth or fiction? Back in the mid 1970's, while power shifting a 1965 Valiant with Mopar 4 speed, I was surprised at Fremont Raceway one Sunday with a "bonus check" (I believe it was a whole ten dollars, still have the check stub in a box somewhere). I had made two consecutive passes with the exact same E.T. (i.e. 12.95 followed by a second 12.95) and there was a special payout for such an "accomplishment" or "lucky day", as one would have it. Never repeated those duplicate runs, but got me thinking that, with practice, one could almost keep up with the automatics.

Attachments

• 1965 Valiant Effort copy.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 224
Autos are nearly always going to be more consistent, but it isn't just the transmission that goes into it. It's weather, tune up, tire pressure in all 4 tires, tranny temp, water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, staging routine, and more.

It's one thing to run a number back to back, but a whole other deal to run the same number 4-6 times in a row, which many can do if the weather stays similar.

After all the variables you mention above, now I begin to think even if E.T.'s repeat themselves, it is probably a different mix of factors each time. With subsequent runs, the variables probably cancel each other out, (some improve time, others slow it down) while they remix in a way which just happens to reload into the same elapsed time. Third and fourth attempts must become statistically more and more difficult to repeat, if for no other reason than ambient temperature changes.

No reason why a stick car can't be competitive in bracket's as long as it hooks and runs well. All the cars are up against the same track/weather conditions.

I ran one of my own in 75'/early 76'. And even though I was constantly tweaking it from the low 14's to the high 12's, and while I never won my bracket.....I still went rounds. Oh, and I was 16 back then :).

Being comfortable in the car is most important. Thru the late 70's/Early 80's I did race quite a few stick cars owned by other's, and had a decent record, mainly because I cheated a hair on the dial in and played the stripe as well as I could.

Feeling/being in touch with a stick car on each run really makes a difference on where you position yourself (dial) for the next round.....

As far as running the same # round after round.....well, good luck with that. It happens, but it's rare, believe me. :D

How long was that Valiant raced at Fremont. I remember a 4spd 4 dr like yours but it was into the early 80s.

I agree that a 4speed car can be really competitive as long as it hooks and shifts good.

There are plenty of consistent stick cars running in stock and super stock

With a manual car a lot comes down to the driver and his ability to drive the car. With an automatic it relies much more on the environment and the car. Yes most guys shift their automatics but with the popularity of air shifters growing it takes out one more factor. Then there are the guys that will just put their car in drive and floor it the whole way. There is a guy near me with a 71 dart running low 12's by doing this. He has won a lot
Of money with that car and never does anything fancy.

I have a electric shifter in my dart and love it,dont worry about missing a shift and hitting the shift light just right

When I can not pulled the shifter went i see a shift light come on ....it is time to get out of the drivers seat.....that is all.........

When I can not pulled the shifter went i see a shift light come on ....it is time to get out of the drivers seat.....that is all.........

Lol. My friend spent all last year chasing issues with his electric shifter in his dragster. Now he is building a stick shift car.

I have an electric shifter set up in my dart. I shift my wagon and 67 belvedere myself.

Out of the 14 no box races that were ran at our local track last year, five drivers combined to win 12 of them.

I won 4, my racing partner won 2, and the three other guys had 2 wins each.
The one thing all 5 cars have in common is an electric or air operated shifter.

I can hit my shifts in my other cars most always and have very consistent ET's. However, myself and anyone else who shifts their own are going to have runs where we shift a bit late or out of sync from the round before.

Its just human nature and a fact that we can't be perfect.

I believe the cars with electric shifters are at an advantage because of that.

I believe stick cars are at an even bigger disadvantage, because it takes even more movement and timing to drive and shift them the same every time.

Its just my opinion, but at the tracks I race at, stick guys don't usually last very many rounds.

-
Back