Console Auto vs 4 speed

-

UPSTATE340

Reaction score
What's the difference in the console body between the auto and the 4 speed console? I can see the difference in the plate, but I cant really tell the difference in the body. There must be though, based on ebay selling prices anyway, I would hope there is a difference.

I have 2 Auto consoles (I think are auto consoles anyway, only one has top plate) and was wondering what I would take to make 1 into a 4 speed console.

I seriously doubt there's any differences. If there is, I'd bet an auto console could be easily modified to go into a 4-speed setup. I sure hope so.....'cuz that's my plan. Seems like it would be too costly for the factory back then to make 2 separately molded consoles for each type of trans.

That's what I figured/was hoping too, but then I see a huge discrepancy in prices for console bases advertised as 4 speed vs those advertised as auto. Sometimes without even listing a part number.

I see one on right now going for around 180 and is listed as a 4 speed and has the same part number as mine which I assume is auto. An auto would go for half that at most.

look at a 4 speed floor hump. shifter is to the left side vs center for auto

The four speed console has a notch cut in the side for shifter clearence. there is a cover that goes over it and gets covered with carpet. I have used automatic consoles in four speed cars a few times before and worked out fine.

Yeah, but those inland shifters come right up in the center. Check out that vendor "Eparts4cars" people......they sell the 4-speed plate and the console storage comp cover for about $400-something bucks.

Maybe those sellers on Ebay are hoping for suckers......I also saw a guy selling a "4-speed trans crossmember" for big bucks......is there such a thing? How about a Hemi ashtray?:happy8:

Sounds right to me, people trying to make more money anyway possible. Good thing there's sites like this for honest answers.

Does anyone know if there is a different part number for the console base? Or was it just the standard base and it received an added alteration.

I guess maybe I have a 4 speed console it has a nice sized notch cut in it. Does anyone have any pics?

68 Barracuda 4 speed console. I still need the cover and they are not easy to come by.

shiftermail.jpg

Yeah, but those inland shifters come right up in the center. Check out that vendor "Eparts4cars" people......they sell the 4-speed plate and the console storage comp cover for about $400-something bucks.

Maybe those sellers on Ebay are hoping for suckers......I also saw a guy selling a "4-speed trans crossmember" for big bucks......is there such a thing? How about a Hemi ashtray?:happy8:

LOL! Thats funny. You need to get one of them Hemi ashtrays. They rock!!! Here is a pic of one:smilebox:

All crossmembers are the same. So they are all 4 speed...no wait that would be they are all auto...no thats not right:compress: I give up, to hard for me to finger out:glasses7:

100_1265.jpg

100_1267.jpg

4-speed and auto console bodies are NOT the same. The shifter comes up right into the side of an auto console. There is a large cutout of the outermost side of the console where a molded fiber board dome sits that covers up the shifter. If you use an auto console the edge of the hole and the shifter boot are visible.
This is a 4-speed console.
Part #2788859 manual base.
Part #2589594 Auto base.

dump 022.jpg

dump 023.jpg

-
Back