Console Disappointment - RANT

-

VADodgeDart340

Reaction score
I have console envy... and disappointment. First let me tell you that Craig's List is a sucky place to do business, you never know what you are dealing with. I have learned a valuable lesson - not everyone is as honest as one might hope they would be. What I thought would be a reasonable transaction has turned into a nightmare. Some guy responded to my perfectly clear ad (I am so OCD it was spelled out so even a blind man could understand it - no offense to blind guys) for anyone junking a car - I will haul it away if it has the stuff I need and I will part it out.

Guy responds and says he has a car he is taking the console and hump out of before it goes off to the scrap yard. Says the console is a strong 8 and the hump will act as a template. Sends pictures. We deal and I agree to buy the part (I know, my fault). What shows up is a cracked/broken piece of junk that was so brittle it came apart in my hands... he knew, I should have known.

So i don't know if I should warn everybody about this guy or just chalk it up to a $200 mistake and try and find a good console out in the world... does anybody just sell the shell (plastic part) in a repro or am I just gonna have to keep looking?

Sorry to rant on FABO - you guys are awesome. I wonder if this guy is on FABO? Harrisburg PA?

I have console envy... and disappointment. First let me tell you that Craig's List is a sucky place to do business, you never know what you are dealing with. I have learned a valuable lesson - not everyone is as honest as one might hope they would be. What I thought would be a reasonable transaction has turned into a nightmare. Some guy responded to my perfectly clear ad (I am so OCD it was spelled out so even a blind man could understand it - no offense to blind guys) for anyone junking a car - I will haul it away if it has the stuff I need and I will part it out.

Guy responds and says he has a car he is taking the console and hump out of before it goes off to the scrap yard. Says the console is a strong 8 and the hump will act as a template. Sends pictures. We deal and I agree to buy the part (I know, my fault). What shows up is a cracked/broken piece of junk that was so brittle it came apart in my hands... he knew, I should have known.

So i don't know if I should warn everybody about this guy or just chalk it up to a $200 mistake and try and find a good console out in the world... does anybody just sell the shell (plastic part) in a repro or am I just gonna have to keep looking?

Sorry to rant on FABO - you guys are awesome. I wonder if this guy is on FABO? Harrisburg PA?
I don't know if he is on here but sounds like you put out some serious money.I have some console's-A bodies,automatics if you are looking.

I Always thought CL was a you show up and buy it sorta deal. I've sold a few things there but have never shipped anything.

Chalk it up too experience.

I don't buy on CL unless I see the part in person.

I used to sell on CL all the time but the last few years has been bad because of all the people that are misrepresenting their parts. This has given a bad name to all that sell on CL. Most people now think, that everyone selling on there, are crooks.

I go above and beyond in my descriptions, and on the phone, because I dont want anyone to be disappointed.

You should just post a wanted ad in the Wanted Parts forum,many members here to help.You can also check out their Sale score.Look for members that have sold many part here and don,t be afraid to ask about them.Welcome to FABO and Good Luck.

I Always thought CL was a you show up and buy it sorta deal. I've sold a few things there but have never shipped anything.

That's right. It's even in their "tutorial" to deal locally.

I am building the kids to specs (and pics) another fabo posted..I have the grain wood (whats with that...muscle car andwoody wagon interior trim ??) ..and too limiting...mine isn't a "restore" so the kids are going to have a slap shifter, cup holders, console box, mutiple switches and an immobolizer key and 1300 watts of hi-fi...it will be covered with cloth that will look like it wa an option..

If you want, pm me and I will send you the info..

grassy

I did buy a pair of stage vi heads off craigs list. And had them shipped to me. But the deal worked out well for me as the seller shipped one head and I paid for it,inspected it and then he shipped the other and trusted me for the cash. I paid him for it as the head was everything he claimed.

It is too bad people feel they can rip you off and laugh about it.

That's right. It's even in their "tutorial" to deal locally.

I have sold a few items but, have yet to buy anything off c/list. I looked at a car advertised as almost no rust last Fall, got to south mpls. and the rockers were rusted away! I asked the guy where he came up with "almost no rust" he comes back with..."oh that, I checked and the rockers only cost $30 a piece"! I don't even waste my time anymore!

Actually, the guy insured the shipping, turned in a claim and assuming UPS agrees then he has agreed to refund the insurance. So I am only out $80 or $90 - the top parts seem to be pretty good and restore-able, but the plastic is hosed. I need to find a repo for the plastic part... any suggestions FABO!

Side Note: when I put stuff up on CL I go way overboard to explain every detail, take pictures and make sure I am not the bad guy. I parted out a 73 Duster and have a storage shed full of rusty parts that one by one I am cleaning up, some will get sold, others will be given away to needy MOPAR guys... I have a very rusty but rebuild-able 318 and a 904 tranny...

-
Back