Console shift linkage lower rod

-

ConfusedMuchOfTheTime

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm hunting down the console shift linkage from the push button to the lower rod/swivel assembly inclusive and am a bit confused on the shape of the lower rod I ought to be looking for. Here are a couple of photos advertising both a straight type and a kinked type of lower rod. I have a '69 Dart console auto. Both ads say both rod shapes fit the '69 Dart.

I've got nothing crazy down in that area, OEM tunnel/floor pan, 904 trans etc.

Thank you for helping me.

Chris

lower rod - kinked.png

lower rod - straight.png

The other rod looks different as well. The hols in the bracket with 2 bolts is centered in one and offset in the other. 2 different applications for sure.

Hi toolmanmike. You're right. Quite a mix and match. Wish it was easier than this.

The FSM shows a kink in the lower rod at the torque shaft end presumably to avoid hitting the trans pan. Appreciate the FSM diagrams are probably indicative only. Also, I see all aftermarket lower rods for a '69 Dart show the kinked version so I am leaning towards the kinked rod being the oem part.

lower rod - fsm.png

Here's what one looks like from a 71 340 Demon. Console shift, 727 trans, You can make out the rod shape under the kick down linkage......Albeit it is pointing forward instead of rearward but you get the idea. Not sure if it helps.:)

20190326_173047.jpg

I can get you a better pic tomorrow if you'd like......with measurements. Let me know.

Edit.....I have all the linkage as well if you need a reference.

Yep bent rod is correct. I'm working on that part of our 67 console cuda.
Sorry for shitty bottom pics, exhaust is in way of decent pic of bent rod, but you can see it.

20211214_215954.jpg

20211214_215921.jpg

20211214_220212.jpg

20211214_220227.jpg

20211214_220258.jpg

Thanks guys. I think I'm looking at the lower rod with the 2 bends in it for my '69 Dart. Looks like the straight'ish rod with the 'Z' bend close to the torque shaft lever is for '67 ish models. I'm sure I could fabricate something to fit but would rather just pay the pesos for the right part.

All my A bodies have had the curved rod. 1967-1976. V8 or Slant 6. Kim
Thank you for your collective help peeps on FABO. Half the fun of this car building game is the research and through that talking to people that know and are willing to share information. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated especially when there are few mopars in my part of the world; well some but not as many as where you lot are.:thankyou:

-
Back