[WANTED] ***Console shift lower rod***

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
That part is requested here on average of twice per year. Spares just don't exist. If it has been repoped, I haven't seen it. Check Classic Industries catalog.
Several owners including myself resorted to fabricating from a similar piece of linkage. I did have a sample under another car to copy. Donor piece I used was a piece of slant to 904 kick down linkage. Good luck

That part is requested here on average of twice per year. Spares just don't exist. If it has been repoped, I haven't seen it. Check Classic Industries catalog.
Several owners including myself resorted to fabricating from a similar piece of linkage. I did have a sample under another car to copy. Donor piece I used was a piece of slant to 904 kick down linkage. Good luck

Thanks Red....I know...it seems to be made from unobtainium! ...Just thought I'd give it a try.

I already have the swivel part...just need the rod. If I had dimensions, I'd make one.

66 is different, 67 to early/mid year 68 is a different one, and late 68 up is different, as well. Which one do you need?

Here is the correct 67 rod you need.

That one looks much more like the one I pulled from under my 68 to copy. I don't know what the differences are or why there were changes. Speculation... Placing the 727 under a-body could have been a factor. Engineers would shoot for 1 part that fits multiple applications wherever possible.

Yes as i posted previously, this rod is correct for a 67 to early/mid year 68. and the rods i mentioned carry different Chrysler part numbers. Yes many times you can use a rod that is not correct for your application because the trans or trans lever was changed previously to one that will accept it. All rods are not created equal as the remakes list and they sure as heck don't interchange for all those years and models B & E. Part of the reason for the different rods is because the trans levers were made different and so were the torque shaft clocking position/lengths/placement of levers different upper brackets etc. and thus required a different trans rod to make the shifter function correctly.

That one looks much more like the one I pulled from under my 68 to copy. I don't know what the differences are or why there were changes. Speculation... Placing the 727 under a-body could have been a factor. Engineers would shoot for 1 part that fits multiple applications wherever possible.

OK, From my experience... If you're going to make it from a different piece of OEM linkage, you'll need a torch.
OEM pieces are hard as drill rod and break before they bend without heat. Then mill or grind the flat for adjusters set screw.
Strange as it sounds, I found even the signal wand is hardened, high carbon steel.

I made one for my 70 dart. Bought a stick of 5/16? Rod at Lowe's and used a propane torch the heat and bend one. It was EASY. I cut the clip/swivel end off of my factory column shift rod and welded it to the rod I made, to be able to use the OEM clips and washers to mount it. the rod was only a few bucks and I had an hour or so of labor in it.

Unless it's an original factory car or something, I would recommend making it. It's simple and you'll save a bunch of money. I bought the rod and handheld torch/bottle cheaper than buying one.

I made one for my 70 dart. Bought a stick of 5/16? Rod at Lowe's and used a propane torch the heat and bend one. It was EASY. I cut the clip/swivel end off of my factory column shift rod and welded it to the rod I made, to be able to use the OEM clips and washers to mount it. the rod was only a few bucks and I had an hour or so of labor in it.

Unless it's an original factory car or something, I would recommend making it. It's simple and you'll save a bunch of money. I bought the rod and handheld torch/bottle cheaper than buying one.

Yessir...that's the direction I'm going. Thanks for posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back