Console

-

chivic55

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of the console that came in a 66 Cuda? I’m thinking of putting my shifter on the floor. I’m not sure I have the right seats either. It seems like the passenger seat is closer to the center of the car than the driver seat. I don’t have an interior picture right now. I can post one tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just bought the car in October. I have the front suspension out of it and I’m replacing everything right now. I was thinking of going with power steering also and this might be a good time to change the gear box too. Thanks for any help.

Seats
1702266616010.png

Four speed console
1702266807795.png

Automatic console
1702266860100.png

The full length "Coffin" style console was new for '66, and the seats were narrowed up a bit to make room for it- so they are a bit different than the '65 and earlier seats.

Was this the first year for this style of A-body console? Will the console body interchange with ones from 67-76?

My 4 speed. Originally a Inland shifter but like many, they were replaced with a Hurst.

100_4689.JPG

108.jpg

110.jpg

Was this the first year for this style of A-body console? Will the console body interchange with ones from 67-76?
Yes they will, but a couple of differences. The later ones had a woodgrain finish to the top plates, and the glovebox hatch got a push button lock!

So 66 had a different console. The center hump in mine doesn’t look very wide. Like FishyPete said, l probably need a picture of the mounting brackets. Thanks for the pictures. Now I just have to find a decent one!

So 66 had a different console. The center hump in mine doesn’t look very wide. Like FishyPete said, l probably need a picture of the mounting brackets. Thanks for the pictures. Now I just have to find a decent one!
THe seats in the 66's were narrower compared to the 65's. Just so the console would fit.

Different than a '65 with the tiny consolette? Yes. It's dimensionally the same as the '67-76 except for a few options where they cut the front edge off for dash clearance. The shape of the hump doesn't really matter as the console sits on top of it. The width of the hump (tunnel) changed between '66 and the '67 up tunnels, and the 4 speeds got an extra side section for shifter clearance. '66 models are pretty much unique on the tunnel, 4 speed section, and the console brackets. The later brackets can be modified to fit however, if you know how to cut and weld.

Different than a '65 with the tiny consolette? Yes. It's dimensionally the same as the '67-76 except for a few options where they cut the front edge off for dash clearance. The shape of the hump doesn't really matter as the console sits on top of it. The width of the hump (tunnel) changed between '66 and the '67 up tunnels, and the 4 speeds got an extra side section for shifter clearance. '66 models are pretty much unique on the tunnel, 4 speed section, and the console brackets. The later brackets can be modified to fit however, if you know how to cut and weld.
"Consolette" for 65. Yep, that's about right. Shifter cover with ash tray.

65 console.jpg

Just remember- the '65 was for a factory cable-shifted transmission, your '66 is mechanical linkage.
You would have to adapt an aftermarket shifter into the '65 console.

Just remember- the '65 was for a factory cable-shifted transmission, your '66 is mechanical linkage.
You would have to adapt an aftermarket shifter into the '65 console.
That does get ugly. Making all the stock stuff work properly is bad enough.

Automatic.(fat fingers). Nothing is simple. I guess I’ll just try to find a 66 console. I’m sure there can’t be many good ones to be had without paying an arm and a leg. I have time to look. I’m still trying to finish my front suspension. That should keep me busy until spring.

Automatic.(fat fingers). Nothing is simple. I guess I’ll just try to find a 66 console. I’m sure there can’t be many good ones to be had without paying an arm and a leg. I have time to look. I’m still trying to finish my front suspension. That should keep me busy until spring.
'66 to '76 consoles are dimensionally the same. '66-8 look the same. The later ones have no center groove and have a woodgrain finish. They also started using a push button glove box latch/lock then. They all mount the same though.

-
Back