CONTEST : Guess the HP and WIN!

-
Long day on the dyno? Hope all went well.

Edited
You treed me by a second

Was there any tuning done on the dyno? or was it run what ya brung?

Figuring 15% drivetrain loss, that's 493hp at the crank. I was thinking it'd make over 500 hp at the crank.

Was there any tuning done on the dyno? or was it run what ya brung?
We had the dyno to ourselves so we did a bunch of tuning. First we made a baseline pull, threw in a new set of plugs, rejetted the carb and played with timing going from as low as 32 degrees and as high as 38. 36 degrees ended up being the sweet spot.

I think your drivtrain loss on the dyno is a lot more than 15%, especially with that much converter.
I bet that engine puts out 550 plus, on an engine dyno, and I stand by my low 10s prediction.
My car got into the nines with 400 whp, but it was light.

I wish we could have ran that across the engine dyno with a Tim tune job, mine picked up a little over 20hp from a custom timing curve. We saw the same thing with the last 408 tested, it had trick flow heads as well. It's hard to know how much timing it wants and where without an engine dyno since he can adjust timing at every 1k rpm under load to see the changes. I agree with 33IMP about percentage of loss and think the car should show better et/mph than what the chassis dyno numbers indicate.

I wish we could have ran that across the engine dyno with a Tim tune job, mine picked up a little over 20hp from a custom timing curve. We saw the same thing with the last 408 tested, it had trick flow heads as well. It's hard to know how much timing it wants and where without an engine dyno since he can adjust timing at every 1k rpm under load to see the changes. I agree with 33IMP about percentage of loss and think the car should show better et/mph than what the chassis dyno numbers indicate.
Yep I agree, after break in and the header swap. It went from 630 to 685 it took a little bit because its a tunnel ram/ brand new build basically. Tim is good, and he's a really nice dude.

You were the page 1 leader with the winner coming from page 3. lol
What does the t-shirt have on it, a picture of your challenger with the words "Hard member" below it ?
Man I'm disappointed in my guess. Lol

Yep I agree, after break in and the header swap. It went from 630 to 685 it took a little bit because its a tunnel ram/ brand new build basically. Tim is good !
I think you'll be back to square one on tuning once you get the engine in the car

I think you'll be back to square one on tuning once you get the engine in the car
It should be really really close.
The track and the Dyno are at the same elevation. As soon as it's in, I'll be running it up and down the street to dial it in, but I'm confident with what Tim has done

Once the baseline is set it should only be "tweaks" since the engine will want the same basic timing curve etc. I do agree the total timing and some carb tweaks could optimize performance depending on weather/altitude conditions. The majority of guys I see at the track don't even bother, they just run it.

Last edited:
And we have a winner! @jimjimjimmy got it on the money with his guess of 429!

Not quite what I was hoping for but it’s a good baseline to work off of and it will only get better.

Jim, message me your t-shirt size and address and I’ll get your prize shipped ASAP!

What were your peak numbers at ?

Alright boys and girls. Time for a contest with a cool prize to the winner.

Heading to the chassis dyno (Dynojet 424XLC2 with 5% SAE correction) on Black Friday and whoever guesses closest HP to the tire will win a Swag Bag full of cool stuff. (Nitto Back Pack, Mopar Hat and custom A-Body t-shirt, BrawlerFab t-shirt and a Brawler Shot Glass. Free, shipping included!) The contest will run from now until about 4pm Pacific Standard Time this Friday which is about when we should be done on the dyno. I will post videos and pics at the conclusion of the contest.

Here's the combo to help:

Balanced 408 stroker with 12.5:1 CR running on Renegade 110 octane race gas
Out of the box Trick Flow Heads with titanium keepers
Out of the box Trick Flow Intake blueprinted on install to perfectly match up ports
Thumper 850 (flows 977) carb.
Comp Cams solid roller cam 660/660 and 258/264 @ .050 108 CL
Harland Sharp 1.5 ratio roller rockers
Hedman Hustler 1 7/8 race headers with 3.5" collectors
3" dual exhaust with mandrel bend x-pipe and Dynomax UltraFlow mufflers, with turndowns and no tailpipes.

MSD 7AL3 ignition with a MSD Billet distributor locked out at a conservative 36 degrees and a 7000 RPM pill.
NGK FR7 plugs gapped at .040

Built 727
PTC 5800 8" non-lockup converter (tight)

4" chromoly drive shaft

Fabricated 9" with 4.30 pro gears and spool and 40 spline axles (not that the axles matter other than they are heavier than say 31 spline....lol)

15x10 Billet Specialties forged wheels
295/55R15 MT Drag Radials.

Nice set-up. Is this a Dyno hp or a strip reading on the hp. Need more information, as in Temp, height and humidity, if it is a strip reading.

What were your peak numbers at ?
429.24 @ 6040 and 382.10 @ 5800.

Converter flashed consistantly at 5700 rpms and with the peak power being so low, I feel that it is running out of camshaft or the heads/intake aren't flowing what I expected. Good news is, this combo will run mid 10's shifting at 6500 rpms or less. Should last a long time! lol

Now to decide if I play with what I got or build a big block. :p

IMG_1921.jpeg

Last edited:
What does the t-shirt have on it, a picture of your challenger with the words "Hard member" below it ?
Man I'm disappointed in my guess. Lol
lol, you might have a "Hard Member" t-shirt coming your way. Could have swore I saw one sitting on that can of F4 green paint! :thumbsup:

-
Back