Control arms

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Ok so the machine shop called me today. I dropped off my Upper and Lower control arms to be blasted and the new bushings pressed in and the old UPPER ball joints removed. I imagine that the new UBJ have a torque spec but if I dont have the socket what are my other options for installing. To Media blast, press out old bushings, install new bushings, and remove old upper ball joints cost me $90 sounds pretty fair to me?

You need that socket to remove and install. There is no other options that won't tear up your stuff. I just use 1/2" air impact gun to install and tighten upper ball joint on the car makes it easier. Hope the machine shop didn't press out those upper ball joints or the threads will be no good.

Most auto supply stores around here have the loaner tools available. They usually have the socket sets you need for the UBJ.
C

That price included blasting and taking out and putting in the new bushings and removing old ball joints.

I stressed with the shop they were threaded not pressed and as luck would have it the guy I was talking to was a mopar guy and knew what I was talking about.

Already checked no parts stores or mechanics I knew had that socket.

I paid $40 to have my old bushings pressed out & new ones pressed in on Upper & Lower control arms. I removed the old ball joints myself, blasted everything myself & had it all powder-coated. $90 for all the work described is not bad. If you are a Mopar guy, you might want to just buy the socket for the ball joints. I bought mine 20 years ago when I had my first Barracuda & actually never used it until a few months ago on my current Barracuda.
Check these out: http://americanmuscle.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/89928/23456
http://americanmuscle.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/89929/23457
Depends on which size ball joints you have but it will come in handy.

The price you paid doesn't sound too bad for blasting and r&r of the bushings.

Can you borrow the socket from the shop that just removed the old ones? Or maybe you could take the upper arms and new ball joints to the shop and he'll install them for you at no charge, just because you're such a nice guy. :smile:

In a pinch, a pipe wrench will work to install those. Just make sure they go in straight.....you don't want to crossthread them.

In another forum a guy said he pressed out the bushings then clamped the ball joint in the vise. Placed a piece of pipe through the bushing holes and screwed the arm off the joint. The carefully stated the new balljoint in the threads , clamped it in the vise and screwed the arm onto it. Back to the press to install the bushings and done.
Where there's a will there's a way ( or so they say ). Good luck

In another forum a guy said he pressed out the bushings then clamped the ball joint in the vise. Placed a piece of pipe through the bushing holes and screwed the arm off the joint. The carefully stated the new balljoint in the threads , clamped it in the vise and screwed the arm onto it. Back to the press to install the bushings and done.
That's an interesting way to do it! You'll need a good strong bench to hold that vice. I've used a 24" crescent wrench and a cheater pipe before I got the socket but you had to be carefull that the car was firmly on good jack stands. It's easy to move the car with that kind of leverage.

thats a hell of a idea.I will remember that tecneik

-
Back