Convert from power to manual steering

-

lonewolf

Reaction score
Can anyone help out with telling me what parts I will need to convert to manual steering on a 65 dart? I have the steering box with a pitman arm from a 72 dart is that the correct arm? Will the pitman arm from the power steering box work? what do I need to connect the steering column, is there a simple affordable adapter?

I have a TRW book & it lists the same pitman arm from 63 through 72, except for a different one for 383 cars. There is an adapter to fit a manual box to a power steering column. Mancini Racing has it, part # MRE8770. $119.95. Don't know if that's "affordable" or not but it's probably cheaper than finding & shipping a used column. They say it makes connecting your power steering column to a manual box a "5 minute installation." Don't know who, but I'm sure others sell it as well.

Thanks that will put me on the right track. I wasn't sure about the power column to the manual box and I didn't want to just buy parts I think could be made to work. ( don't want to use the big blue wrench and the big,big hammer )

I just did the power to manual swap on my 70 Valiant today. The mancini adapter works very well. The hardest part was getting the old box off of the steering column. The headders on my slant made it so I couldn't lift the box to slide it back far enough, out came the sawsall. it really freed up some mid-range and topend power.

I just did the power to manual swap on my 70 Valiant today. The mancini adapter works very well. The hardest part was getting the old box off of the steering column. The headders on my slant made it so I couldn't lift the box to slide it back far enough, out came the sawsall. it really freed up some mid-range and topend power.

Where do I fasten the sawsall underhood for increased mid-range & top end power? :toothy7: Did you use a cordless sawsall? How many hours of driving time do you get before you have to recharge it, or did you hook it straight into the cars electrical system? I guess you could also use a 110 volt sawsall & a power inverter could supply power.

:roll: I know, I know. Nobody likes a smart*ss. I'll crawl back into my hole now.

:burnout:

-
Back