Convert help/opinions

-

macadoo1961

Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if I could get some opinions from fellow convert owners? If the cash is there, in the spring I hope to reskin the top on my convert, as it has not had a covering since the car was done over 8yrs ago. Its a power top and all mechanical parts work fine. Whats better to do: buy a pre-made top out of the box or get one custom made for the car? Some people have told me custom is the way to go on an older car as the tops frame in relation to the car is not the same as it was 40yrs ago. On the other hand I've heard of horror stories of bad workman ship on some custom tops(obviously good referances for a shop to do the work is a must). Also what material would be the best? Is it best just to go by price, the more$$ the better the fabric?? There seems to be a number of materials to pic from. What have been some of your experiances or what are you guys doing on your restoration projects? thanks any advice would be great, this is my first convertible and want to do the best for my car!!!

Im not anywhere near ready for a top, but Ive had this same question. I know id probably intall the top wrong if i did it myself, but im afraid a shop may mess it up also. As far as fabric , cloth is nicer looking, but i havent seen many on old cars.

First ask around and find a competent shop.Local car shows are the best places to ask.After you find a shop ask them if you can buy the top and have them install it.Usually they are going to want to go through their distributor.They also make more $ this way.However this is probably the better way to go,because if there is a warranty problem it is on them to fix it.I would stay away from a custom top,and I would go for original material which was vinyl.

Last thing to do is work out the price.
Here are some paddock prices to go off of.
Top with plastic curtain. 225.00
Pad kit 40.00
Tacking strips 6.00

Labor:
Right around 300.00

This is just a ball park on the labor.Something to go off of.
Find a shop,chat with the guy,and go from there.

Good luck !!!!!!!

Picture 204.jpg

Thanks for the input Johnny Dart, I yes a pre made top is probably more the way to go, less to worry about going wrong I suppose, just getting the right guy to install it. Any particular reason for staying with vinyl or would it just be to keep the original look? I know the fabric tops like on todays cars can be quit pricey from what I've seen at top shops on the net.
WHAT no other opinions or comments? I know there's more than a few A body convert owners out there! Any good or bad top stories to share?

WHAT no other opinions or comments? I know there's more than a few A body convert owners out there! Any good or bad top stories to share?

I'm in the same boat with my 'vert. I've got a semi-rusted frame and a dead cracked top, but I won't be near replacing it for probably at least 6 months (likely MUCH more than that). I'd love to hear from others, too :)

I'm in the same boat with my 'vert. I've got a semi-rusted frame and a dead cracked top, but I won't be near replacing it for probably at least 6 months (likely MUCH more than that). I'd love to hear from others, too :)

Thanks Shishldin....I was begining to think I was asking a stupid question, but I figured there must be other out there who have never gone down the convertible road and are not sure whats best. I've seen some converts at car cruise ins that look great, until the tops up, a bad top job can ruin a cars look. I agreee Johnny Darts car is a hot looking car, love the look of the black steel wheels and chrome lugs!

I would find out where the best shop around is for installing the top.

I had the top on my 67 Coronet done at a shop that claimed to have done Chrysler tops for over 30 years. The guy that installed the top on my car was not as old as the car and SCREWED it up and didn't really fix it right.

My Dart the guy had been installing tops since before the car was new and taught his son to do tops and interior work. They came highly recommended and I had seen a lot of their work. THE TOP LOOKED GREAT. But the top company used the wrong glass for the rear window. I told them it was wrong, they said it was right, turns out I WAS RIGHT.

I wanted a cloth top and LOVE the look and get many compliments on the look of it

It all depends on how you want the car to look. If you want to improve the look and willing to spend the extra money Cloth is the way to go. If you want original look go with a heavy weight top. Pick the color and let them order a top. Install new pads and if the guy is good it will look as good or better than when the car was new. If there is any damage to the bows fix them before installing the top

Sorry, Johnny, did you say something? I was busy looking at your Dart =P~=P~
That's a mean machine there, bro...

Dam,you crack me up.I had to re-read my post to see if I really wrote blah blah blah.LOL
Your Valiant is a bad little ride to !!!!!

Again the best thing to do is go to the local cruises and talk to some conv owners.Ask them who did there top,and go from there.
That is what I did and it worked out well.

Paint the frame in the car when you take the old top off.

Dam,you crack me up.I had to re-read my post to see if I really wrote blah blah blah.LOL
Your Valiant is a bad little ride to !!!!!

Again the best thing to do is go to the local cruises and talk to some conv owners.Ask them who did there top,and go from there.
That is what I did and it worked out well.

My Val WILL be a bad little ride. I *auto-magically* turned my Valiant into the pretty piece you see there via Photoshop in just a few hours. Were that it was the same with the real thing, huh? We'd have to spend those long hours on the street cruising instead...

I'll be heading up to the SF Rod and Custom show on Saturday. I'm sure I'll find some choice ragtops to chat with their owners about. I'm gettin' stoked just thinking about it :). I'll forward on any tips, tricks, and recommendations that I get.

Why is that? I was thinking of taking it out of the car, having it cleaned up (sand/media blasted?) and then painting it, all out of the car. Are there alignment issues or ???

You can do that.
I guess I took the easy way out.Came out nice.

You can take to top frame out of the car and take it apart too. Seperating the 2 side sections from the bows and header equals about 5 seperate pieces but sure makes it easier to handle , clean, and paint. Remove the hydrolics and side sections will open and close by hand. Normally there are 3 small bolts attaching header to each side section. Those are slotted as are the large attaching bolts at the quarters. The advantage is finding and repairig any broken bolts , etc., but you'll spend most of a day realigning the frame with the side windows and windshield frame. The door hindges and all body alignment should be done first. The experienced top installer recommend the best top sourse for your car. He will fit the top tight to wherever the frame is. Readjusting afterwards is very limited.
As for top material... you wont find protectant chemicals suitable for canvas yet there are many such products for vynil. Do they prolong the life of vynil tops ? Dunno All I know for sure is I would never want a white canvas top.
My brother spends lot of time in keeping his white Mustang top clean.
Good luck :)

the guys i use for upholstery and tops, New Hanks Trim Shop in Alameda, always send out the frame for blasting and powdercoating, and then use quality tops. my friend had a problem with his 66 chrysler 300 that they did, but it turned out that the top was stitched just a bit off and it ripped. they addressed the problem since they bought it and replaced it for free. they used a second supplier and now its all fine. things happen when building any part of the car. these guys do beautiful work. they did my headliner, carpet, and backseat. my backseat frame was blasted and powdercoated as well.

all in all, let a shop by it, even if it is more expensive. most shops(including mine) do not warranty customer supplied parts in the event of being incorrect or defective.

Thanks for the feed back guys!!!!!! When I finally get a top its going to be like having another car.......I've only sat in my car with the frame up to imagine what it will be like!!!! What a dork!!!!

it was recommended by the top installer if removing the frame from the car to drill 2 small holes on each side in the brackets that mount the frame to the body. Then they can be used to line it up exactly like it was before the frame was removed.

After mulling it over for some time I think I have decided on getting a blue cloth top for my convertible. I think it gives the car that custom modern look that I like. I think the blue top will match the color of the car much better than the black vinyl top that I ordered from Legendary Interiors a year ago.

I agree that a good shop should do the work and order the fabric. Make sure you are aware of the quality grades of fabric and general cost for such fabric before you go shopping for an upholstery shop.

A European style cloth top will run about 400-500 with the plastic window from what I've seen on the web so far.

I too plan to get the frame powder coated since it's already off the car.

Goodluck with what you decide.

Why is that? I was thinking of taking it out of the car, having it cleaned up (sand/media blasted?) and then painting it, all out of the car. Are there alignment issues or ???

BEFORE UNBOLTING

DRILL 2 - 1/8" HOLES IN EACH SIDE MOUNT TO RE ALINE THE FRAME ON REINSTALLATION

I would not sand blast the frame. too many moving parts and hard to remove all the sand.Mine was just sanded, build up primer and painted black. looks great. it was painted off the car

I love my cloth top

Dartrtrear.jpg

BEFORE UNBOLTING

DRILL 2 - 1/8" HOLES IN EACH SIDE MOUNT TO RE ALINE THE FRAME ON REINSTALLATION

I would not sand blast the frame. too many moving parts and hard to remove all the sand.Mine was just sanded, build up primer and painted black. looks great. it was painted off the car

I love my cloth top

Where did you buy yours from? That is the top I want on mine.

Thanks for the input guys,good to hear from some fans of cloth tops too.And thanks Wildcat for sharing that pic of your dart with the top up, it looks awesome!!

-
Back