Converter and cam question.

-

Badart

Reaction score
It's for a 273/904 in a 65 Barracuda. My first question is what modifications would have to be done to a later model 904 3k converter to install it? I also plan to swap out to an 8.25 with 3.55 gears. I have also been porting a set of open chamber 318 heads to go on it, because the old 273 heads don't have hardened seats and will need to be replaced anyway and plan on running an .026" head gasket and should have around 8.75:1 CR. I plan to run the factory 273 manifolds that are dual all the way back.

I know that I will have to upgrade springs if I decide to swap to a hydraulic flat cam. Would there have to be any mods to swap to a hydraulic cam? I'm not that familiar with 273s. My next question is cam choice. I already have both and here they are.

Comp Thumpr CRS 279T .486 .473

MP purple cam 484

Intake will either be a Holley street dominator or Eddy Performer and a Holley 600 DP. This car will just be a cruiser, nothing more.

The input shaft of the '65 904 will be a different spline than the later convertor, and the convertor hub will be larger than the 273 crank's hub. There is a spacer to use the factory early convertor with a later crank. The only way to make the later convertor fit the early crank is to turn the hub down or have it replaced (most converotr companies can do this relatively reasonably). The iput shaft spline issue is a bigger deal. You basically need the pump, input shaft assembly, and front clutch retainer from a later transmission and swap that into your cable shift '65 904...

On the cam choices - Both are too large for the 273, and the manifolds are one of the most restrictive points on that body style. The largest I would use with that combo would be the XE262.

These reasons are why IF I do a V8 in mine, my '65 is getting a mild 360 with the '65 904 and stock convertor using that bushing.

That's the voice of reason that I wanted to hear. I usually get carried away really quick with these simple and easy things like swapping heads. Then it becomes swapping the intake and carb. The next thing I know I'm swapping cams and tearing the motor down. LOL

My plans are to just get the car back on the road and will just be a driver. I can't lose focus. I just happened to have the parts laying around. Thanks Moper.

I have all the V8 stuff for mine too. I've had it for a few years now.. So I was hemming and hawing a while.. Also - I'm not the best versed on the early As... You might want to post this on that area to se what they say. I've learned a lot from them in there about mine and it helped shape my current plan to find a free 225 and drop it in place of the tired 170...lol.

-
Back