Converter Manufacturer Choice

-

jimmyray

Reaction score
Ok, so I've read 30 different threads, and done my homework, and talked to several vendors. I have a 408 stroker into a 727 reverse manual tranny in a 3.73 Dana. Currently running a TCI Streetmaster 10" converter, about 2800 stall with about 10% slippage at cruise and through the lights, best time of 12.26 @ 109, 1.67 60 foot on 28"x10.5" slicks. My choices have been narrowed to a 9.5" converter with ~ 3800 rpm stall, as recommended from either:

Ultimate Converter - custom built with Billet front - $895, lead time 4 weeks
Dynamic Converter - custom built w/anti-balloon - $650, lead time 1 week (or less)
PTC - custom built with Billet front - $495, lead time less than 1 week.

All men suggested the same converter (spoke to Lenny, Sean, and Kenny respectively), given my engine combo.

I guess it boils down to preference, as both companies and owners (Lenny and Frank, respectively) have great reputations here on FABO.

Thoughts?

Sure, also call Kris at Continental Convertors in CA. He makes killer, highly efficient converters too.
Tom

My experience has been that Ultimate converter usually beats there lead times and Dynamic often takes much longer than they claim.

I'm curious: What is the comparitive charge for "re-stalling" the converter?

I get mine from Lenny at Ultimate. Just heard from my wife that one showed up today! LOL!

I think you can expect an improvement in ET with your new converter.

Steve

Updated with additional quote from PTC, thoughts?

give SMRtrans.com a call - great TC, delivery and service.

I have heard nothing but great things about Ultimate. Thats what I am gonna run when the turbo motor is done..

I'm running the 9.5 dynamic in my 318 duster, it made a world of difference when it came to the launch. Plus the burnouts are pretty cool too!

I really like my 10" Coan Converter 3-3500 stall part 40312. It's a little bit looser than I had hoped but I can live with it for the launch it gave me and being able to sit at a light better. It was about $610 for the converter and I paid $25 for the new bolt hardware, I'd suggest new bolts when you do it, why not you're already in there.

Decided to go with Dynamic - excellent reviews here on FABO, and Sean was helpful and knowledgeable. Seemed to be the best value for my $$, and felt most comforatable with them.

I'll let you know how it works out, and the results at the strip.

Jim

-
Back