Converter measurements

-
Thanks John. It lists the 727 twice and no 904s but being 1/16 difference not hard to figure
. Kim

Ya I noticed that too. I guess that’s typical for some of these articles. Lol. I run powerglides in everything now and what I do is turn my pump tangs so they are at 12:00 and 6:00. Then I mark my converter with a white paint stick so I know where to line it up. When it’s seated in the converter I can rotate it back and forth and hear it clicking on the pump tags. Then I tie it back in place with a string so it can’t slide out during install.

A few years ago after I wiped the thrust bearing in my new engine, due to too tight of a fit between the snout and crank, I tried to find info on converters. Searched quite a while an stumbled across this site. Was surprised how little info was out there. Had to find something in Sweden.

Torque Converter info for various transmissions

Ya I noticed that too. I guess that’s typical for some of these articles. Lol. I run powerglides in everything now and what I do is turn my pump tangs so they are at 12:00 and 6:00. Then I mark my converter with a white paint stick so I know where to line it up. When it’s seated in the converter I can rotate it back and forth and hear it clicking on the pump tags. Then I tie it back in place with a string so it can’t slide out during install.
Just curious. Why powerglide vs a 904 or 727?

Just curious. Why powerglide vs a 904 or 727?

Safer, cheaper, more consistent, more parts available for them, but mostly back in the late 1980’s early 1990’s the transbrakes worked way better than the Mopar ones and were produced earlier. And now I have one more reasons which is aftermarket aluminum cases. I have three now with three different low gear sets and can change them from big to small block in about 10 minutes. No flywheel or shield needed and they even have a steel liner that slides in.
22CA15EF-C62F-471D-91CD-4EF5012C3BD8.jpeg
05873309-E5EC-4EFA-9B46-8DABDBE533E0.jpeg
35EDEA1C-07EC-44B2-84D0-F6474E984A6A.jpeg

you can bolt a small hex wrench onto the inspection cover boss' and the slight angle will hold the convertor seated while you wrestle the trans up to the block. Old girlfriend had an old mustang that her brother didnt seat the convertor in. They could not figure out why the block wasnt taking the bolts. Me to the rescue! Got jack for that favor...:-(

-
Back