Converter size?

-
Generally, a smaller converter with the same stall speed will be tighter/more efficient.
To exagerate: a 11" converter loosened up enough to stall 4000, or a 9 inch stalling the same 4000. I'd bet the 9" would be 5 mph faster in the 1/4. And a lot more drivable.
(The first would be a GER special, lol).
Of course, the skill and quality of the builder enters into the equation.

In this day and age, size really has very little to do with converter stall speed anymore. Nothing like it used to. Best bet is to call someone like Dynamic, Coan, Precision of New Hampton. Tell them what you have and what your plans are with it and let them advise you.

In this day and age, size really has very little to do with converter stall speed anymore. Nothing like it used to. Best bet is to call someone like Dynamic, Coan, Precision of New Hampton. Tell them what you have and what your plans are with it and let them advise you.
I dunno if You remember our conversation about torque converters about 2 years ago. I was saying I had a B@M holeshot 3000, on the shelf. You Said Run it, you'll Love it! There's a Place, Tampa Torque Converter, that also does Race stuff. In 2010, to get a warranty on my 727 (300 bench rebuild) I had to have a new converter. They cut it open, Said," slighy wear on 1 ,thrush washer, I really feel bad even charging ya" wonder if that unit could be "made tighter"? I remember you saying that's a loose.unit with kinda older tech..

I dunno if You remember our conversation about torque converters about 2 years ago. I was saying I had a B@M holeshot 3000, on the shelf. You Said Run it, you'll Love it! There's a Place, Tampa Torque Converter, that also does Race stuff. I wonder if that unit could be "made tighter"? I remember you saying that's a loose.unit with kinda older tech..
Well it all depends. As much trouble and time as it is, really the best thing to do is slam it in and run it. See what you got with it. If it's too loose or tight or too low or high stall, pull it back out and have um look at it. I wouldn't change it without trying it.

Well it all depends. As much trouble and time as it is, really the best thing to do is slam it in and run it. See what you got with it. If it's too loose or tight or too low or high stall, pull it back out and have um look at it. I wouldn't change it without trying it.
Ahh, OK now Im starting to get it! Perhaps I need to go back and reread "Rusty's guide to Hot Rod Bliss"... somewhere between the best part you have is the one you got and if it ain't broke don't fix it! See how easy wondering minds wander? THANKS MAN
Edit:
Considering I'm sick as heck, have all kinda time, and am broke as a joke from being sick ( weren't never loaded no how) that's the best idea I've heard in a long time! That 2200 MP stall just lacks some jump with the 484MP cam and the heads I have...

Ahh, OK now Im starting to get it! Perhaps I need to go back and reread "Rusty's guide to Hot Rod Bliss"... somewhere between the best part you have is the one you got and if it ain't broke don't fix it! See how easy wondering minds wander? THANKS MAN
Edit:
Considering I'm sick as heck, have all kinda time, and am broke as a joke from being sick ( weren't never loaded no how) that's the best idea I've heard in a long time! That 2200 MP stall just lacks some jump with the 484MP cam and the heads I have...
The B&M might be a good match. You just won't know for sure until you try it. I wouldn't change it beforehand though. I'm sorry we're not more local. I'd come help you do it and we'd have a good time.

Depends on how you define efficient. Do not agree with the 1st sentence in post #4. Smaller CVs have more slippage, all else being equal. That is how they get the higher stall speed, internal slippage.
The smaller CV has a considerable reduction in rotating weight [ RW], from it's body weight & reduced fluid volume being less than a larger CV. This reduction in RW is right at the outer diameter, where it has the greatest impact on the load the engine has to accelerate. The smaller CV will accelerate faster than a larger CV, all else being equal.
So internal losses in a small CV from slippage, but gains from reduced RW.

The B&M might be a good match. You just won't know for sure until you try it. I wouldn't change it beforehand though. I'm sorry we're not more local. I'd come help you do it and we'd have a good time.
I know we would! And I'd build, rebuild, or repair You and Kitty whatever Y'all needed! Who Knows, may Happen one day.

I know we would! And I'd build, rebuild, or repair You and Kitty whatever Y'all needed! Who Knows, may Happen one day.
Yeah....I'm needing a handicapped ramp pretty bad on the front. Kitty's getting worse and worse with her walking now. It's really not too bad, but I know it's only going to get worse. She's fallen a few times and we've been really blessed she's not broken anything.

Yeah....I'm needing a handicapped ramp pretty bad on the front. Kitty's getting worse and worse with her walking now. It's really not too bad, but I know it's only going to get worse. She's fallen a few times and we've been really blessed she's not broken anything.
Man... that Sucks. I ain't about money, never was, but it's looking like I'm gonna be suing 2 hospitals. That ain't gonna fix anything immediately though.... However, I HAVE built Several ADA compliant ramps out of PT SYP. I've also seen modular aluminum ones here and there. I'm doing a Lil work, and I mean, a Lil, for a friend's sister. She's just recently widowed, her husband was Navy and before Parkinsons' they gave him a ramp. I may be able to work a deal with her, she's selling, before Christmas, and going to CA to be with her daughter. I CAIN'T promise Nothing though. And that sucks too. At this Point , we can all Pray about it. If Y'all can come up with lumber, I Can build one. The Gal Is Definitely going home for Christmas again (Jax). I may ride, but don't wanna be there.....

Man... that Sucks. I ain't about money, never was, but it's looking like I'm gonna be suing 2 hospitals. That ain't gonna fix anything immediately though.... However, I HAVE built Several ADA compliant ramps out of PT SYP. I've also seen modular aluminum ones here and there. I'm doing a Lil work, and I mean, a Lil, for a friend's sister. She's just recently widowed, her husband was Navy and before Parkinsons' they gave him a ramp. I may be able to work a deal with her, she's selling, before Christmas, and going to CA to be with her daughter. I CAIN'T promise Nothing though. And that sucks too. At this Point , we can all Pray about it. If Y'all can come up with lumber, I Can build one. The Gal Is Definitely going home for Christmas again (Jax). I may ride, but don't wanna be there.....
I understand. This will probably need to be custom. Kitty wants it a certain way...and of course that means mo money. LMAO

I understand. This will probably need to be custom. Kitty wants it a certain way...and of course that means mo money. LMAO
Well, no more than a 1/12 pitch. gotta have a 5' landing top and bottom, minimum witdh is 3' , I usually go 4' (have a Bro, my Ford Friends older Bro, he's A Big Man. Bone Cancer. We just did him one.)
HAS TO have Protection on sides( aka handrail) if over 30' additional Landing required. I can go on, if it helps?

Also, 1/2" galvanized lags and through bolts w/ washers. maybe could drop em a size, I just like Over engineering. My stuff DON'T Move, break, or Fly away! You know, like it's supposed to be! I'd even consider 6x6s for posts man.... Bulletproof!

Well, no more than a 1/12 pitch. gotta have a 5' landing top and bottom, minimum witdh is 3' , I usually go 4' (have a Bro, my Ford Friends older Bro, he's A Big Man. Bone Cancer. We just did him one.)
HAS TO have Protection on sides( aka handrail) if over 30' additional Landing required. I can go on, if it helps?
We have a 90 degree walk. One straight out from the bottom of the steps and then one at a 90 degree angle to the right about three feet in front of the steps, so it's going to have to have a landing even with that right hand walk, since that's the one we use. As usual with a woman, it's complicated. LOL

And yeah, anything helps. But lets not get this anymore sideways. LOL You can Pm me.

We have a 90 degree walk. One straight out from the bottom of the steps and then one at a 90 degree angle to the right about three feet in front of the steps, so it's going to have to have a landing even with that right hand walk, since that's the one we use. As usual with a woman, it's complicated. LOL
Everytime Brother! That's Precious Cargo! And we have to consider Life and Movement Saftey, Mobility of All involved with Comfort, Ease of Use, Long Term Durability, ect.
Oh , and The Woman thing! They like things a certain way!

-
Back