converter?

-

3404spdfish

Reaction score
need to get this straight. i have a 727 from a 340 car i believe, the converter has 2 weights on it, i am thinking i can use that converter on a 360 if i get a special flex plate right. correct?

since i have 2 weights , one on either side of drain plug i am thinking its a 360 converter already if that's the case the B&M flex plate i got will be put on the shelf for the next build.

340 cast crank engines were externally balanced also. But I don't know the size or weights of the weights used. A 340 cast crank definitely had less external weight on the converter and the balancer than a 360, so they will not interchange. I believe 340's went to cast cranks some time during the '72 model year. (late?)

The 340 externally balanced engines and the 360s were externally balanced differently, so, no.

i have the flex plate 10236 already, i need to know if i can use it with this TQ before its balance with the flex plate.

20240330_134158.jpg

i have the flex plate 10236 already, i need to know if i can use it with this TQ before its balance with the flex plate.

View attachment 1716230054

All of the B&M flexplates are designed to be used with a neutral balanced converter. That’s why I posted the links to them. I knew you already had one. But we had no idea which one you had or what converter you were trying to use, or what modifications have been done to your engine.

I have had just 2 1972 340.
One was an auto it had electronic ign. And a cast crank. The damper Clearly said 340 cast crank only on damper.
You never said if you ran it like it is.
If you put the wrong damper andflex plate combo you would know It Right Away.
Other was a late 1972 but was from a manual trans car. It was steel crank as was most if not all 340-4 1972 manual tans cars.
So had neutral balanced damper and flywheel.

so in short i either take the weights off my converter and use b&M flex plate or i leave the weights on and get a standard flex plate for a 360 which if its different than a 340 i will have to buy one.

Last edited:
At this point, "I" would remove the weights from the converter and use the flex plate that's correct for the ENGINE you're going to use. Mainly because of this statement in your first post: "i have a 727 from a 340 car i believe"

See that word at the end? "Believe" tells me you're not SURE which converter it is. So, rather than take a chance on doing it TWICE, knock the weights off the converter and use the B&M flex plate that's correct for the engine.

At this point, "I" would remove the weights from the converter and use the flex plate that's correct for the ENGINE you're going to use. Mainly because of this statement in your first post: "i have a 727 from a 340 car i believe"

See that word at the end? "Believe" tells me you're not SURE which converter it is. So, rather than take a chance on doing it TWICE, knock the weights off the converter and use the B&M flex plate that's correct for the engine.
I always wonder what that does to the actual balance of the converter itself. Neutral balanced converters have tiny weights too.

I always wonder what that does to the actual balance of the converter itself. Neutral balanced converters have tiny weights too.
That's true, but those are not for neutral balance. Those are clearly external balance weights.

That's true, but those are not for neutral balance. Those are clearly external balance weights.
I realize that. Just wondering what makes it neutral balanced after knocking off the weights. Maybe it is unbalanced neutral balance if that makes sense.

-
Back