Convertible Frame Restoration

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the way they restored their convertible frames?

I've been thinking of getting the whole frame powdercoated. Is this possible with all the hinges?

Otherwise I was going to paint it plain black.

On my convertibles, I treat it just like the exterior of the car. Strip, do the nessasary repairs, prime and paint. I have never powdercoated one...it might interfere with the mechanism if the powder is too thick.

I took my frame completely apart. Fixed 2 broken bolts and spent a day cleaning it with a small brass wire brush and thinner. Where the brush wouldn't reach brake cleaner aresol did. 4 spray cans of Rustoleum Rust Reformer later it looks almost new. The front 2 corners of the header still need rust holes patched.
Grand daughter picked every tiny piece of a staple out of those bows. They have seen 3 tops .

I have some black rustoleum I can use with my spray gun. I will try this and see how it works.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

I've seen Julius powdercoat them. They look soooo good that way. The powdercoaters will/should tape up the joints as instructed and isn't too big an issue.

autoxcuda, you're very right. A decent coating shop will go above and beyond to make sure your component installation is painless without any grinding, tapping or rework necessary. If they don't offer this as part of their regular service, shop around for someone who does.

-
Back