convertible part needed

-

rdb

Reaction score
Well the new top is going on and it's getting expensive but I went into this w/ eyes wide open.

But they say the 'header bow' whatever that is, is badly rusted and they have no source for a replacement. If anyone has this '64 Dart convert part let me know or if it is known to be the same for '65-66 or whatever, I would like to know that also.

thanks,
RB

The header bow is the front part of the convertible frame, the part with the two latches. They form the front of the top and do rust. I am not sure of interchangeability, one will have to be sourced from a parts car or wrecking yard if it cannot be repaired.

OK, THANKS FOR THE INFO.. ANYONE KNOW OF A SOURCE.

The shop says there as a pplace that made repros, but no longer in biz.

But if anyone knows if later years work for 64, that would be starting point.

I would think 64-66 A body would all be the same. Post some pictures so we can see how bad it is. I have to do some repairs on my 65 Valiant, but don't think it will be to bad.

Thanks for the info. The shop has ties to the whole vintage convertible scene, and the info they are getting is that the part is only the same on 63 Dart/Valiant, not the post 64 models. But at this point, I will try anything.

I'm curious as to who is "they" that say the part must be replaced.
Upholstery shops are not body shops or metal workers.
The header of my 67 vert frame had small bolts broken off where mating members attached and holes rusted through the skin on both ends. I'm sure it would have stopped the typical top installer in his tracks.

I agree. Someone who has some decent metalwork and welding skills should be able to fix it, unless the whole thing is paper thin. How about posting some pictures of the part? I would suspect the shop just wants to replace it, finish the job and get the car out of their shop.

Well the new top is going on and it's getting expensive but I went into this w/ eyes wide open.

But they say the 'header bow' whatever that is, is badly rusted and they have no source for a replacement. If anyone has this '64 Dart convert part let me know or if it is known to be the same for '65-66 or whatever, I would like to know that also.

thanks,
RB

there is one on ebay but the shipping might kill ya and the front header looks to be rusted pretty bad. it's fixable with sheetmetal work and a welder but if yours is like this I'd just fix yours.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-DODGE-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce78baaeb&vxp=mtr

there is one on ebay but the shipping might kill ya and the front header looks to be rusted pretty bad. it's fixable with sheetmetal work and a welder but if yours is like this I'd just fix yours.

The one I repaired wasn't rusted quite that bad. That one looks like it could be repaired though. A small piece of roof skin from a hard top would make it easier.

thanks,
RB
Hi, do u still need the part?? I have to look but quite sure I have 2 of them...pain in the .... takin em apart.....walt

they repaird the rusted one, but one in good shape would still be nice to have. So it depends on condition. Would have to be from a '64 to be sure it is correct

-
Back