Convertible top -- Dart

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with replacing a power convertible top on a 67-69 Dart? I have a quote of $700 from a local shop to install the new top on my 69, but I was thinking of doing it myself. I have the service manual for help, and all the parts to put it on including the seals, gaskets, stay pads, cables, well liner etc.
How hard is it to do this job?
The original top is still on the car, but it's full of holes and the back window has been cut out.
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks fellas.

George :glasses2:

There's an article in a recent Mopar Muscle that showed a good step-by-step install on a 67 Barracuda.. Didn't look too hard, but there were some methods used that probably would make it easier.

Grant

Mine needs to be done soon as well... I will definitely let someone w/experience do it. I have seen some "bad jobs" in the past- loose material/wrinkles etc and although my top is down more than its up... a sub-par job will take away from the whole look of the car.
I read that article in Mopar Muscle- and they do make it sound easy. BUT after you have done a few hundred and know the tricks of the trade, Im sure it is easy.
Just my opinion

I gotta tell you that even my buddy, who is a whiz at vinyl tops, headliners and seat covers, will not attempt to do a convertible top. There are so many tricks to installing one that only years of experience can allow, and I'm with Da69, it's one of those jobs that needs to be paid for. If it was $700.00 and they are providing the top, thats actually not a bad deal. The top and rear curtain will cost $250.00, and if they will install a new well liner for that price thats another $100.00. I have 3 convertibles right now, and I'm staring down the barrel of the Gatlin gun!!! Geof

I fixed a small spot on mine that required unscrewing one side and it too hours to get it back on right.

Although not an A Body, I had to replace the top on a 65 Coronet I used to have (and repair a rust hole in the front header). I followed the top replacement in the 65 FSM exactly and had no issues and the top looked good and was tight.

I replaced the one on my '64, and it came out fine, and it's the only one I've ever done. If you take your time and follow the instructions carefully, it's not too difficult...time consuming, but not difficult. It took most of a weekend to do mine.

If I was to do it again, I would order a fabric top instead of vinyl. Vinyl doesn't age well and it deforms while stowed in the well. A few hours in the hot sun will stretch out most of the wrinkles and deformities, but fabric looks so much better.

I'd really like to find a way to install a glass window, as the vinyl one looks so chintzy.

Very important :

There is a gutter, so to speak, that goes around the base of the convertible top in the back.

Make sure that it is rust free smooth with no holes in it before you put on the new top.
The best time to repair it is with the top off.

trapster... my gutter is rusted out. Do you suggest cutting it out and using metal to "re-create" old gutter... or could I grind the rust away and use fiberglass to create gutter?
Any experience doing this???? thnks for opening discussion George

Good thread.

I had put one on a 71 Chevelle years ago, and it came out ok, but not great. I didn't have the money then, so installing it myself was the only choice.

Thought about it long and hard on this one, and decided to pay the price to have it done. I have a glass rear window, and don't regret having it done. It was done really well, and is tight everywhere.

trapster... my gutter is rusted out. Do you suggest cutting it out and using metal to "re-create" old gutter... or could I grind the rust away and use fiberglass to create gutter?
Any experience doing this???? thnks for opening discussion George

This was my 67 dart convertible, the 63/64 has different way of attaching to the frame. Not sure about 65/66.

All I know is that Mine was rusted out when I took it to the shop to have the top replaced. They replaced the top and left the rust. At the time I didn't know it was there. I always had water leak problems because of this. I would take out the rust but preserve as much structure as possible and rebuild it out of fiberglass.

You cannot do this with the top on the car.

$700 is a good price. don't ask what my custom canvas top cost.

$700 is a good price. don't ask what my custom canvas top cost.
The $700 I spoke of was for installation only. I had to buy all the parts myself. I bought the original grain top with the zippered glass rear window. He wants $700 just to put it on for me.

George

700 just to put it on dang this must be a hard job i dont have a vert so i cant help any more but i would look around for a better price tho

I've witnessed and helped with at least half dozen installs. When there is a slightly damaged original top to peel off and use for a guide it isn't as difficult to get another top in the same place.The original serves as a guide. Where there isn't an original top...experience is the only guide. The hardest part of a top is where it is. You can't climb onto a hood or trunk lid of a customers car to reach it. Lebarron, Mustang, VW Beetle, many other models with a short rear are easy start. Models with a long trunk are a pain in the trunk to get the install started.

-
Back