Converting 05 Chrysler Sebring from 2.7 to 3.7

-

mopar65

Reaction score
I have a real nice 05 with a blown up 2.7 V6. Not wanting to waist my time putting another junk 2.7 in it. So was thinking about getting a used 3.7 V6.
So was looking to see if anybody Elese has done the same thing?

On late models that is a pita. Computers are different. Wiring harnesses are different. Modules are different. That's not riven getting into the mechanical things that change.

Since the car is not popular amongst performance drivers and enthusiasts, I doubt you'll find much info on it. A parts catalog is your best first step after checking online.

On late models that is a pita. Computers are different. Wiring harnesses are different. Modules are different. That's not riven getting into the mechanical things that change.

Since the car is not popular amongst performance drivers and enthusiasts, I doubt you'll find much info on it. A parts catalog is your best first step after checking online.
Does the old school Hollander interchange cataloging, still exist for late model vehicle(s) ?

I say break out the torch and welder for a 5.9 swap!
:lol:

Sebringclub.net
There are a few that have done a 3.0 swap on the first gene one guy that did a 3.5 and one working on a 3.8 mivec swap but those are all Mitsubishi based.
There has been one 3.5 lhs based swap in a second gen but that required a scoop on the hood as the intake was too tall
For the existing one. The members name that did it was frankenvert. He ran a 5 spd manual behind it.

I have a real nice 05 with a blown up 2.7 V6. Not wanting to waist my time putting another junk 2.7 in it. So was thinking about getting a used 3.7 V6.
So was looking to see if anybody Elese has done the same thing?
Well now, first, the 2.7 wouldn't be junk if modified w/a t-chain tensioner stop. And second, I think You mean a 3.6L, not 3.7L which is a 90deg Liberty/Dak/Ram engine.
There's NO chance of "swapping" one of those in w/o making it RWD,lol.................
Ahhh, the member's name is like CMR360 or something like that, He's swapping a 3.6 into an A-body, and details the electronics You're up against with that one.....................

I think You mean a 3.6L, not 3.7L which is a 90deg Liberty/Dak/Ram engine.
There's NO chance of "swapping" one of those in w/o making it RWD,lol..................

sounds like a plan to me

Thanks for the info everyone. I haven’t messed with much of the latter model V6 engines. I didn’t know about the chain tensor mod. This was my sons car. He said he was just driving it down the highway at 70 and the car just shut off. I was like umm sure son. Lol figure he was out hot ridding it.
Well I start checking it out and find antifreeze in the throttle body. I pull the front valve cover off and cranking the engine over the timing chain is not moving. Also the engine sounds like crap. Was told the 2.7 was bad about the water pump going bad. Was also told they were pretty much a junk engine. Was going to find a junk yard engine but don’t know if I want to talk a chance on another junk yard engine. I found a article on line wear somebody dropped in a 3.6 sorry about the 3.7. They pretty much said it was a drop in. Just had to add a engine oil cooler. But I am not sure about all that and before I waist a lot of time and money, figured I would ask on here first.

Well now, first, the 2.7 wouldn't be junk if modified w/a t-chain tensioner stop. And second, I think You mean a 3.6L, not 3.7L which is a 90deg Liberty/Dak/Ram engine.
There's NO chance of "swapping" one of those in w/o making it RWD,lol.................
Ahhh, the member's name is like CMR360 or something like that, He's swapping a 3.6 into an A-body, and details the electronics You're up against with that one.....................

Would like to hear more about the Chain tensioner mod. Something broke on this one. Cranking the engine over the front timing chain is not moving

The 2.7 can be a decent engine but the internal water pump sucks. Even though they have a weep hole (2 actually) it can sometimes be hard to detect before it causes major issues. One weep hole will show up on the passengers side front but the other leaks into the valley under the intake where it tends to evaporate. The other issue is the hydraulic tensioner for the timing chain the o ring will fail and cause it to jump time. With the 2.7 being an interference engine it bends valves if that happens. The stop block is cheap insurance which will keep It from jumping time if the tensioner fails
This is the guy who came up With the stop Block.
Fix 2.7 Engine – Home of the Stop Block Larger companies have copied it since then.

The one thing they don’t cover is the unique issues you would run into stuffing it in the Sebring sideways. The lhs and concordes are all rear wheel drive.
?????? No, but they are longitudinally mounted like a rear wheel drive, the Prowler , & Challenger/Charger is the only RWD app of the DOHC 3.5L. It is a rockin' running engine, an older customer
had one in a new Concord when they went "catfish", He was a GM Guy and had run dirt track cars from the old hardcore days.........He was impressed enough to purchase
that Concord, & He eventually only replaced it with one of those supercharged 3.8L Buicks.

EDIT: longitudinally ............................& Prowler..............Man I needed that energy drink!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The 2.7 can be a decent engine but the internal water pump sucks. Even though they have a weep hole (2 actually) it can sometimes be hard to detect before it causes major issues. One weep hole will show up on the passengers side front but the other leaks into the valley under the intake where it tends to evaporate. The other issue is the hydraulic tensioner for the timing chain the o ring will fail and cause it to jump time. With the 2.7 being an interference engine it bends valves if that happens. The stop block is cheap insurance which will keep It from jumping time if the tensioner fails
This is the guy who came up With the stop Block.
Fix 2.7 Engine – Home of the Stop Block Larger companies have copied it since then.
Yeah, Goodson Machine was selling them, I didn't find it on line the last time I was at the site...............and stoopid trees!!! Damn, that sucked, after all that...............

-
Back