Converting points to a pertronix electronic ignition

-

jagsdtc

jagsdtc
Reaction score
I went to change out my points and condenser ignition on my 68 225/6.
The original coil had the wire from the distributor connected to the +on the coil and a wire from the wiring harness connected to the - coil terminal.

What do I do with that wire? Is it the wire from the ballast resistor that several articles say to connect to the coil? Per the instructions, the red from the eleconic module is connected to the + on the coil and the black wire to the - side.

I'm not sure I understand the explanations on connecting the ballast directly to the + side of the coil.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you For A Bodies only!

I'd wire it up exactly as the instructions show. I never did a pertronics mod. You may want to see if the mods can move this to the electrical forum. You might get better traffic on there, or ask slantsixdan about how to wire in a late model mopar electronic distributor, and fire it with a GM HEI module, and eliminate the ballast alltogether, and return the pertronics for a refund.

I believe the slant 6 electronic dist still uses the same cap, rotor, and vac advance as your current points one does. Check with Ray "Halifaxhops" on here he rebuilds points distributors, i got 2 electronic V8 ones from him. He may have a slanty electronic one he can sell you. The plus side to doing it this way is the parts availability of the factory electronic pieces VS an aftermarket part should it happen to fail.

Last edited:
For one thing your coil is hooked up backwards. The wire from the harness is + power from the ballast. The neg should have been hooked to the points

Go to the Pertronix site, post your pertronix kit part no. and post the pdf of the instructions here from the Pertronix site

Which Pertronix...I, II, or III?

If you have 2 or 3 run it with their Flamethrower coil and bypass the ballast. The two wires from the Pertronix, red goes to + and black to -. Wire from harness goes to +

Yes, your coil was hooked up wrong. You would still get spark, but the electrons would flow from the electrode to the ground tip (recall), which would quickly erode the ground tip since it is more-delicate steel that doesn't appreciate being bombarded with electrons, so check your spark plugs. Search SlantSixDan's posts for the best spark plug PN. He and others on slantsix.org site are vehement that it matters a lot. Also, make sure you remove the metal gasket on each spark plug, since you have the earlier "drool-tube" slant engine.

-
Back