Converting to manual steering..Confused

-
You should be able to pull you shaft out to engage the manual box. The splines on the factory coupler are the same on power and manual boxes. Grab the shaft where it slides into the outer portion with visegrips and tap with a hammer.

I have to ask, Why do you want to do this???

If it is that the power steering way over-powered.
If so, I corrected mine. All totaled it cost right around $200
You can read about it at http://tinyurl.com/psdp7gf
No only does it reduce the power in the steering, it is VERY EASILY adjustable and you set it to the feel you want.

If this is not your reason, Sorry to have bothered you

I have to ask, Why do you want to do this???

If it is that the power steering way over-powered.
If so, I corrected mine. All totaled it cost right around $200
You can read about it at http://tinyurl.com/psdp7gf
No only does it reduce the power in the steering, it is VERY EASILY adjustable and you set it to the feel you want.

If this is not your reason, Sorry to have bothered you

It's just me...I hate belts pumps and pulleys too. Yes it does steer like a one month old baby could steering it and that big box bugs me.

The splines on the factory coupler are the same on power and manual boxes.

THIS IS NOT CORRECT!!! Manual steering couplers are a larger diameter gear pattern than power steering couplers! You have to have the correct coupler for the box you are installing. Also the column is longer on a manual than on a power steering column.

You need to change the shaft to do it correctly, the manual steering shaft is longer and the coupler is different. It's really not really that hard to do.
I have one if you get stuck and are willing to wait a couple of months for it.
I have a steering box too.
P.M. me if you are interested.
I have several parts cars at my acreage in Cranbrook, B.C., so the shipping would be reasonable via Greyhound. I only get back there every couple of months or so.
Do you have a slant 6 or a V8?

You should be able to pull you shaft out to engage the manual box. Grab the shaft where it slides into the outer portion with visegrips and tap with a hammer.
I did this once on a '74 Dart. The manual steering box I had already had the coupler on it. I just tapped my column down using vise grips and a hammer. It worked fine, however, I always wondered how much splines were left before it pulled out. If someone could answer that question, then I would be more at ease, because I had to tap it down approximately 3 inches.

I did this on my 68. I couldn't wait to replace the heavy cast iron leaking slimy PS box with a simple lighter aluminum 16:1 manual. Aaaah....simple and lighter is good.

I obtained a complete manual steering column but ended up using my original PS column because it was in better shape. I removed the inner PS shaft from the column and replaced it with the LONGER one from the MS column. If you do the same thing you will need a coupler. And yes the splines are different between PS and Manual boxes.

Flaming River used to sell a U-joint extension to make up the difference in lengths that takes the place of the flex coupler. Steer and Gear and Firm Feel also sold extensions.

Enough people want to go from manual to power I am sure you could do a trade with the shafts. Very easy to replace the shaft. I went to power from manual going with a Firmfeel ps box and did this.

You need to change the shaft to do it correctly, the manual steering shaft is longer and the coupler is different. It's really not really that hard to do.
I have one if you get stuck and are willing to wait a couple of months for it.
I have a steering box too.
P.M. me if you are interested.
I have several parts cars at my acreage in Cranbrook, B.C., so the shipping would be reasonable via Greyhound. I only get back there every couple of months or so.
Do you have a slant 6 or a V8?

PM sentO:)

-
Back