converting to power steering.

-

JimMac

Reaction score
I am adding power steering to my 1965 Valiant Convertible that I am restoring. I found everything that I needed except the steering shaft. I know that I have to shorten the one I have to use it. Does anyone know by how much? It looks like 3 inches to me but I have the shaft removed and the coupler off (it needs to be changed too) I have measured the length of the shaft at 39and 1/4 inches. From the top of the shaft to the small hole near the bottom is 37 inches. If anyone happens to have one from a power steering car that is removed could you measure to either of the above and let me know. Because I am in Canada it is much more difficult to find parts.

Last edited:
I have a 65 power steering column that has been completely rebuilt and is awaiting installation. I can measure from the end of the shaft at the steering wheel end to the end of the PS coupler if that will work for you.

i have a shaft with coupler from a 67 barracuda
if that will work
eddie

Thanks Yes that will work
could you also measure the length of the coupler on yours.

Here are the measurements as measured from the end steering wheel end of the shaft to the end of the coupler and the measurement of the coupler. Hope this helps!
IMG_6629.JPG
IMG_6628.JPG

-
Back