Convertor weights

-

75ddart

Reaction score
Has anyone on here ever welded balance weights on a neutral balance convertor to use it on an ext. bal. motor. I have a good neutral bal. I would like to use on an ext. bal. motor. I haven't had any luck on a used B&M flexplate and found weights for half the price. I have a 220 amp mig welder to do this, and experiance so that's not an issue. So my question is with the weight kit and template, has anyone done this with success ? Thanks.

Made sure they were indexed the same and cut off of one and welded on the other. No issues.

Do you know how much weight is required to get the converter balanced properly?
Welding the weights to the converter is not a big deal for sure, but getting them in the right spot on the converter is. I've seen my share of improperly balanced converters.

i got the template and weight kit for a magnum and had no issues welding it to the convertor

2 that . i think you have a issue another place. Do you have the correct damper??

i have welded custom made steel pieces weighted and welded after internet instructions with great success.318 converter on 360.

What does this mean? If a BM won't properly balance the engine, what makes you think DIY weights will be any better?

Could've explained it better, hands got quicker typing than the brain. What I meant was I haven't had any luck in finding a used B&M flexplate but through my research I found the weight kits. Not sure of the weights, but according to applications there is different weights for different applications.

Its not rocket science the kit has a template that shows where the weights go on the converter...also tells which one to use based on the engine...been there done that...but I like the b&m fletplates better.

.......I have done it many times with great success..............and a couple of times with out great success, but those times were just a best guess...............kim.......

The Mopar performance manuals show the placement and amount of imbalance
for the various externally balanced engines,yes they are different for each.A correct kit
w/template would make it fall off the log easy.I did it to a cast crank 440 11" unit,but
made my own weights,worked like a champ & the fancy flexplates didn't exist then. I
suppose today for the coin I'd just buy a new flexplate and be done w/it.

Well, looks like I will go ahead and get the flexplate instead of the weight kit. I didn't need it to be SFI approved that's why I was looking around for a used one or asked about the weight kits. I do like the thought of being able to use the convertor without the weights for other applications if the need should arise in the future.

There is a used one for sale on Moparts.com for 40.00 item number is #1977094

Thanks, will check it out, but believe the one I need is #10236, unless this one on Moparts is an older part number.

-
Back