Cool Jay Leno Turbine car video

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2A5ijU3Ivs"]1963 Chrysler Turbine: Ultimate Edition - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube[/ame]

Thought I would share it. Ive seen the car in person, and its pretty amazing. It was also weird because I saw two different turbine cars in the same day, the other was at the Peterson Automotive museum. :mrgreen:

Very cool.... Im one of them guys in there 30s-40s that had never heard of them.

Cool, Im a Leno fan. I actually met him about 10 years ago at a car auction. Seemed like a good guy.

There's an instructor in the Physics Dept. at UMKC that got to ride in one. She said it was a strong car that rode really well.

And yes, it seems that Jay Leno is a genuinely cool guy.

Saw one driving at the first time they had the Nats at Indy years ago. Sounds like a giant Kirby. Jay might think it's quiet INSIDE, but I found it nearly annoying OUTSIDE.

Thanks for posting, Rockerdude! Very cool video.
As a young teen a million years ago I got to see one of the original turbine cars in our local SoCal mountains. It was one that was part of the factory loaner program discussed in the video. At the time it was just parked alongside the road. I made my parents stop so I could walk back and look at it. Although my family was strictly a GM-products family I had already developed my affinity for Mopar just from what I read in the car magazines of the time. I thought it was an amazing car then and still do.
The Los Angeles Museum of Science and Industry was one of the few museums that took advantage of Chrysler's offer when the turbine car fleet was decommissioned and I had a chance several times to see one of the cars on display there. I've also seen the car that is in the Petersen Museum here in SoCal.
I heard that Jay brought his car out to one of the 'Fling' events in Van Nuys.
Thanks again for posting the video, and BIG thanks to Jay for preserving a true piece of automotive history.

And that's why MOPAR people are in a league of there own.........

I bought the book they referenced in the video and it is a great read. Tells a lot about the history of the turbine program and has plenty of feedback from the 200 plus lucky families that got to drive one of those ~50 cars.

Took me less than one day to read; that is how good it is. I know a guy mentioned in the book who was one of the turbine mechanics so it was sort of a personal read for me.

Thanks for the link.
Tom

In grade school a boys dad was a test driver. I remember my dad pulling along side it at a stop light so we could get a good look. I saw it a few times. I also remember Danny talking about going to Indy 500, and seemed to have a great interest in cars. They moved away, I lost a friend. Jays video brought back memories.

These cars, are cool. Period. Just on the engineering, to stuff in a 2 door car.

I remember in the early 60's my brother took me to Worthys Chrysler Plymouth in Ft Worth TX and they had one on the showroom floor. I remember the salesman balancing a nickle on the engine as the engine was running. Thanks for posting, always wondered what happened to these.

Very cool video, thanks for posting! The Gilmore Museum near Kalamazoo has one, I got to see it last year and got inspired to build a model kit of one. By the way there is a big Mopar show at Gilmore this weekend. It is a beautiful rural setting and one of the top automobile museums in the country, very worthwhile to visit!

-
Back