coolant flushing...?

-
Depends on how bad it is. If it's just a routine coolant change i just flush it out really well with a garden hose and refill with new antifreeze and distilled water

if it's worse than that you can get a bottle of quality radiator flush to run through before draining such as:
Amazon.com: Gunk C2124 Super Heavty Duty Radiator Flush - 22 oz.: Automotive

If your thermostat housing is leaking at all you may as well replace the gasket at that time as well as the thermostat

also just throwing this out there, I added this last time I did a flush, it's overkill as long as you keep fresh antifreeze in it mixed properly but my drain petcock was broken anyway so I replaced it with this:
Amazon.com: Flex-a-lite 32060 Zinc Anode Drain Plug Kit: Automotive

I used a flush product years ago. Directions said to drive it for (x) amount of time after pouring it into radiator. It foamed up badly. ( foam will not cool ) it got HOT after about 3 miles. Let cool , drained , and it never heater again. Don't know what product your wanting to use or what I used, but be ready for such a possibility.
Yote

I always back flush. I first use a radiator flush product like prestone flush. Then disconnect the heater core hose from the outlet side of the heater core. Attach flush tool to outlet side of heater core remove radiator cap, and turn on the hose. The fresh water will back flush the heater core (heat will work much better after all the sediment is pushed out) go down through the intake, flush the block, go through the lower hose and back up the through the radiator and out the radiator filler neck. Some will escape through the bypass hose, but run the water until it comes out clean.

Once it is coming out clean, drain the radiator. Refill with coolant mix slightly stronger than 50/50 to make up for the fresh water left in block and heater core.

Tool is made with a piece of heater core hose with hose fitting from hardware store attached. I have one for 5/8 ths hose and one for 1/2 in.

IMG_20170627_220102.jpg

IMG_20170627_220136.jpg

Last edited:
Blue Devil. Read the instructions.

thanks.... I had a lot of people say just drain the coolant, close the drain put a hose in the rad fill start the cart and let it flow...until it runs clear out the top of the rad,,,seems like it would be messy

That annode that KISS mentionedis awesome. My chrome thermostat housing leaked out the side. Took it off, and the whole inside was corroded. The annode gets attacked so the aluminum doesn't.

-
Back