Coolant leaking out of my radiator cap and/or overflow

-

Toddh98

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. After parking me 1970 dart with a 360 magnum, I noticed a trail of liquid leading up to where I had parked it. Upon further investigation, I found it to be antifreeze. There was a decent puddle where I had parked, left the car running while I looked for my garage opener, and a trail to where I had parked it, and a small puddle under the front right part of the radiator. I inspected the overflow and it was still half full of fluid like it always has been. The radiator, however, had a trail of dried liquid running down from the side of the radiator cap. It seemed as if this stopped after I turned the car off. I just installed a PCV valve, which it did not have at all before. I don’t know if that means anything. The car did not say hit was overheating. It has actually been running very cool. That’s according the the painless wiring harness the previous owner installed. I had ran it fairly hard today. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit
Or borrow one from an auto parts store.

I had this happen before on the side of the highway and didn’t have many tools or a pressure tester. I replaced the radiator cap and it never leaked again. Maybe I got lucky?

A complete pressure tester kit has an adapter to check your cap also. It can show up a weak cap.

Another question is have you over filled the radiator should be filled to about an inch from the top to allow for expansion.

If coolant is coming out aound the cap its probably the cap.

Also, you should be running a coolant recovery system and not just a overflow tank. IMHO

-
Back