Coolant Overflow

-

72Plymouth

Reaction score
Occasionally I hear this whistling noise. Finally figured out that it was the coolant spraying steam/water out of the hose. Only happens if the car is idling for a while not getting an airflow from driving.

I noticed the tube ends just before the hole near the bottom of the car. It seems like this would rust the car out from letting coolant out right there. Is this how it is supposed to be on these cars?

There is a hole in the sheetmetal where that tube should go through about 1 inch. Even better would be to get a overflow bottle kit from a part store and route the tube to it.

You might want to check the fan clutch. If the water gets hot enough to boil at an idle, the clutch might be going bad by not locking up causing it to turn real slow. When it does it again, rev the motor up a bit. If it does not sound like a B-17 taking off, you have probably found your problem.

Thanks, will look into the clutch fan and making that tube longer.

Well when it is doing that, the temp gauge goes nearly all the way to the hottest. Yea I was just idling in the driveway for like 5 minutes trying to warm it up.

I think something is up with the carb too. Even when the engine was hot, it still hesitates when giving it gas initially. I'm thinking that its the float or something else in the carb. It is the original 2barrel.

As soon as I drove, the temp immediately went down to normal within 10 seconds of driving or so. Also, driving helps the hesitation go away faster. But it's hard to drive when it almost wants to stall!

-
Back