Coolant recovery tank on fender

-

kiss

Reaction score
I have a 71 Dart. I would love to find a coolant recovery tank that mounts to the passenger side fender (relatively flat surface) similar to how the windshield washer fuild tank mounts on the driver's side fender.

I have been scrolling through ebay pages for hours, as well as searching this forum. There's pretty much 2 kinds that I find. The first kind are metal cylinders/bottles. The second kind are formed plastic tanks of weird shapes and sizes.

Does anyone have, or even seen, a simple flat-mounted recovery tank that could be mounted on the passenger side fender? It would work perfect!

Thanks.

It is possible that a manual washer bottle will work and sit in the area right

It is possible that a manual washer bottle will work and sit in the area right
I thought about that, but I really don't want to go that direction. I am hoping to find a recovery tank that just mounts flat, similar to that.

My wife's '08 Avenger has the tank sitting in that area. No idea what it looks like underneath or how it is mounted.
Got a junk yard or pick n pull near you? You might just take a walk and look over the offerings.
I found a tall rectangular tank that I mounted to a saddle on the frame rail beside the radiator that way.
C

I was eyeballing a tank from a 78 Cordoba. It mounts in the same place as the newer A body but not as long

If you want a really clean look, mount the bottle inside the fender well behind the headlight attached to the bottom of the fender bolts.

You even can paint the bottle black and make it really covert if you want.

I'll repeat how much I like my recovery bottle. It's the smaller hex shaped aftermarket kit from Advance. It's hi-lo markings are perfect for the volume displacement of my 22 inch radiator.
It's mounted beside the radiator where factory would have placed it. It's milking white plastic is clear enough so at a glance I get info on cooling system condition. If I see a change in it normal levels or oil in it, I'll know there is a problem.
Of all the things I've done to my '67 , ranked on a scale of 1->10, install of this little bottle hits a solid 8.

Has anyone been able to take any pics of their setups yet? I'm in a deadlock. I still can't find an overflow tank that mounts on the fender, flat.

Has anyone been able to take any pics of their setups yet? I'm in a deadlock. I still can't find an overflow tank that mounts on the fender, flat.
I have a 73 Duster, took a pic of my set up from the factory. Never saw another tank like it in any other Duster. Dodge Main grabbed from somewhere off a shelf and mounted it. Hope this helps.
Overflow Tank.jpg

Nice, clean, clutter free engine bay.

Very inexpensive too!

7323594-9_30_11TroyDart5.jpg

8264982-HemiDartmisc8020.jpg

I have a 71 Dart. I would love to find a coolant recovery tank that mounts to the passenger side fender (relatively flat surface) similar to how the windshield washer fuild tank mounts on the driver's side fender.

I have been scrolling through ebay pages for hours, as well as searching this forum. There's pretty much 2 kinds that I find. The first kind are metal cylinders/bottles. The second kind are formed plastic tanks of weird shapes and sizes.

Does anyone have, or even seen, a simple flat-mounted recovery tank that could be mounted on the passenger side fender? It would work perfect!

Thanks.

hard to see but found this in a wrecking yard and put it on a car i sold.Even had a mounting bracket that the bottle snaps on to.As stated earlier make sure you can see through it to monitor your cooling system...never mind the jewelry.
you can buy the whole system new ...2003 Hyundai Tiburon,it is a perfect fit.

047.JPG

Thanks for the pic ir3333 that is absolutely perfect
Did you just bolt the mounting bracket to the bottom of the core support?

yup...2 little screws through the top of the frame extension right at the
rad support,can't even see it when installed.
Got mine from the dealer complete..hoses,cap,mounting bracket
and reservoir.

and reservoir.
I just bought a used one in good condition off ebay. I'll rinse out the overflow tank with vinegar to clean it up. Thanks again!

I just bought a used one in good condition off ebay. I'll rinse out the overflow tank with vinegar to clean it up. Thanks again!
and reservoir.
Do you have the part # for the complete assy. Thanks

hard to see but found this in a wrecking yard and put it on a car i sold.Even had a mounting bracket that the bottle snaps on to.As stated earlier make sure you can see through it to monitor your cooling system...never mind the jewelry.
you can buy the whole system new ...2003 Hyundai Tiburon,it is a perfect fit.

View attachment 1714967412
I like that bottle install because I had to relocate one of the horns ( 67 fish ) to fit the part store bottle there. It's about 5 inches wide. Seeing the contents in my bottle might be easier though.
Many long neck bottles for coolant have a low coolant sensor, and a washer fluid bottle has a float in the neck.

re purposed fire extinguisher//jb weld and some tubing// it has since been painted fits great

DSC00016.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

DSC00010.JPG

DSC00011.JPG

Another member posted a restoration he is doing on his dads old duster. I spied what looks like a GM washer fluid bottle and mounting bracket circa 1960 to 1969 on the inner fender. I must say it looks pretty factory there. The pix of the bottle and bracket i got are repops from classic industries. The bottle was about $9. Bracket about $8. Cap could be sourced locally in the "help" section of your auto parts store.

downloadfile-51.jpg

2016-10-14-06-05-09-749167693.jpg

2016-10-14-06-05-13--544483994.jpg

Last edited:
Coolant bottle in my 96 Camry looks about the same and I did consider something along those lines.
In the end, a relay enclosure ( for headlights, horn, a/c clutch ) went there.

-
Back